Watch a rare backstage interview with the Ramones from 1978

Originally published at: Watch a rare backstage interview with the Ramones from 1978 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Eh, is there something about Tommy’s history I’m missing? What’s ironic about him being the most level-headed member of the group, of course he was.

2 Likes

If you knew Tommy, sure. For a drummer, playing punk or rock in particular, he’s probably in a very small exclusive group of being the most level-headed members. Neil Peart and Gil Moore come to mind, but I can think of quite a few more drummers who aren’t so much. Marky Ramone would be a tough call.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Johnny Ramone, the guy who taught me that anytime an artist or anyone who works in a creative field says any variation of “I want to keep politics out of my art so more people can enjoy it” is probably going to be a conservative trying to cover up their really shitty politics.

13 Likes

So what you are saying is that I let a perfectly good drummer joke just fly right past me. My old reflexes must be slowing down.

Though I guess knowing that Tommy was their manager and producer for more time than he was their drummer made it more difficult to detect. :smiley:

6 Likes

Marky’s autobiography is the best of those written by Ramones members.

3 Likes

Wither the late and great Charlie Watts?

3 Likes

How can you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

Fixed. :smiley:

9 Likes

Not ironic about him being that, more ironic in the “opposite of what you would expect” sense that he left the group not long after this interview where he seems like their best spokesperson, while the band continued for another 20 years without him.

1 Like

ironic alanis morissette GIF

2 Likes

Or that time when our band was on tour and we locked the keys in the van? We had to break a window to let the drummer out.

4 Likes

What’s the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

You only have to punch the beats in to the drum machine once.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.