Watch a room get filled with water until it collapses into the room below

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/23/watch-a-room-get-filled-with-water-until-it-collapses-into-the-room-below.html

9 Likes

That was quite a remarkable finale. Amazing how the water came out of literally every window at the end.

5 Likes

For more videos like this, look up “Nicht Nachmachen” with Bernhard Hoëcker and Wigald Boning.

5 Likes

Was that house being demolished anyway? What about all of the stuff inside?

4 Likes

Reminds me of a scene in the movie Delicatessen in which
the two protagonists find themselves cornered in a locked bathroom with murderous apartment dwellers trying to get in at them. Filling the room with water to flood the place out is their creative means of escape.

16 Likes

I’m watching this while I’m having a new roof put on; strangely distressing seeing the destruction while hearing bangety-bang roofing noises.

21 Likes

I’m irrationally infuriated that they aimed the hose like a foot outside of the bathtub. Seems like such a missed opportunity.

13 Likes

First world problems. I kind of liked that rug. It really held the room together until it was micturate upon by upstairs.

EDIT: spelling

7 Likes

Worst Airbnb ever

9 Likes

Did they seal up that story to hold in the water while it filled? Houses aren’t water-tight on the inside like that, especially old houses like that one.

1 Like

I’m not cleaning that up.

4 Likes

Given that it was a fire hose filling it, I don’t think they needed to do much but block the door and close the windows.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was leaking through the floor and the ceiling of the room below. I’m surprised that the attic window didn’t break from the pressure of the water against it.

2 Likes

I remember wishing this show had English subtitles when these clips were first doing the rounds a few years ago. They have a lot of good ones, like showing the spread of fire from a cooking pan doused with water.

An excellent metaphor for the year 2020!

3 Likes

If you look, you can see they caulked the doors (possibly reinforced?).

I’m actually surprised it didn’t develop a leak that matched the incoming volume of water (say, through outlets and such). The catastrophic end after the initial break was surprising to me.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Fortunately most homes don’t have access to that volume of water flow. Even a 1" supply line (large for a single family home, unlikely to a single room) wouldn’t be able to supply enough water to keep up with leakage.

I do know a couple who bought a foreclosure house where the previous owner had stopped all the drains, turned on all the water, and opened the windows during a Minnesota January. Suffice to say the house came cheap and they gutted and remodeled the whole thing. They knew exactly what they were getting into though so they got a great deal.

1 Like

Actually, I found that extremely helpful, since I’m writing a fabulist story about a house that gets swept out to sea and becomes a ship, and I needed to know if tubs float as he’s picking up passengers along the way.

7 Likes

Interesting, but not sure I would call this “science” or even an “experiment” without knowing what the hypothesis was and what data they gathered to prove or disprove it. More along the lines of a realistic portrayal of the disastrous effects of overloading a structure with water weight.

6 Likes