Watch a room get filled with water until it collapses into the room below

Odd how the bathtub was not connected to any water supply or drainage and just floated away.

4 Likes

If the tub is fibreglass, it should float, I would think.

1 Like

Material is immaterial - assuming you want it to float like a boat. Material is material if the tub is swamped with water - a plastic one may float even if upside-down, but other materials may not.

They make boats out of metal and concrete, you know. :wink:

(And @cepheus42 - and you should read this - it is very funny. About how he did row the Channel in a bathtub.)

3 Likes

Yep, I think so, like the one in the video (looked like it was… certainly not porcelain). Although ultimately it doesn’t matter, it’s fabulism, so anything can go. Mostly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the recommend, I’ll check it out. Adding it to the list.

5 Likes

It was. The series performs all sorts of stupid stunts to show exactly why you shouldn’t do this or that. It culminates with a house-destroying idiot idea. In this season they used water.

1 Like

It IS a good read about a good adventure. But the bathtub was somewhat modified to meet some regs that would have scuppered him otherwise. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Tubs often have foam insulation on the dry side, so it would float from that too. But they would have had to block the drain hole for it to float the way it does.

1 Like

Reminds me of a scene from The Arrival:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
I actually own an adorable 12 aluminum fishing boat, which does indeed float.

2 Likes

If anything goes, then a cast-iron clawfoot slipper tub would be the most fun.

6 Likes

Back in the day, we had a monthly room is an ancient residential hotel near NYU. Other residents included a Holocaust survivor who screamed every night and ‘bikers’ who made their living as grave robbers selling skulls to ritualists. We constantly heard rats scurrying in the walls. It later collapsed, boom. But I digress.

A bare light bulb with a metal shade hung directly over the bed. One morning, we noticed a stream of water pouring from the light. Then the bulb exploded. Turns out the folks in the room two stories above us had left their bathtub faucet run, filling their room, which them drenched the room just above us, and then on to us. We figured it was time to move out.

2 Likes

Charming 3-story SFD, 3BR/1.5BA. Slight water damage.

4 Likes

Big Budget amateur science? Seems like more than an overhead sprinkler would deliver.

Fritz Lang used this in

4 Likes

Using the bathtub for scale (and making a few assumptions about building codes) that water load is in the neigbourhood of 5 to 7 times of the design load.
Which is not as surprising as it may sound.

This is from the Norwegian programme Ikke gjør dette hjemme s1e3. There’s a fourth episoode, before the house is completely destroyed.

machine translates as

Can you get coffee right in the hot water tap? How dangerous is a plumbo bomb? And if you seal well, is it possible to fill an entire bathroom on the third floor with water? Per Olav Alvestad and Rune Nilson test it out so you don’t have to.

I haven’t been able to get translated subtitles, but the video’s high quality.

2 Likes

Next week, here! And it’s going to be raining! FML!

The same concept is used in German television, the previously mentioned “Nicht Nachmachen!”, which translates roughly to “Don’t try this yourselves!”. Take a house that is slated for demolition, and abuse it with all sorts of stunts. I suspect the same format is used in Denmark, France, Holland, and a lot of other countries.

3 Likes

Hoëcker, Sie sind raus!

2 Likes