Watch a YouTube vlogger make a big realization about makeup

[Read the post]

I prefer women that donā€™t wear make up but if they choose to I have no problems. My concerns for makeup is the health implications, even the ā€œnaturalā€ ones still have fine particulate of minerals and metals.

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad for her that she realized this simple fact. Our culture makes the oddest things seem normal, and the most human things seem not okay.

4 Likes

It is the same realization I came a long time agoā€¦ ā€œif males look fine with no makeup why is almost compulsory for females to put on?ā€ I was baffled.

No males wear makeup outside outrageous 80ā€™s videos, why females should*?

Now I am all for ā€œstop plastering your face with corrosive shitā€.

*PD: I am all for the comeback of the ā€œeye shadow up to the back of the skullā€ style.

1 Like

Few males.

A few years ago, I decided to wear makeup mostly on special events and for costuming. The process of ā€˜putting on my faceā€™ every single day and every time I merely stepped out the door was feeling tyrannical and taking too much brain space.

It is notable how peopleā€™s behaviours and responses change whether I am wearing makeup or not. When in makeup, strangers (clerks, waiters, cashiers, etc) are more polite and affable, for instance using the formal ā€œvousā€ in French and calling me ā€œMadame or Msā€. Without makeup, Iā€™m always ā€œTuā€ and never ā€œMsā€. There are previous jobs I could not have held without a suitably ā€˜professionalā€™ look (codeword for makeup). This effect even extends to loved ones: Even my mother, who is not a shallow type at all and very supportive, always asks if Iā€™m tired or ill when she sees me without makeup. I know she doesnā€™t realize it because Iā€™m very adept at the no-makeup makeup, but it is unmistakeable that she thinks I look better with the makeup (she just doesnā€™t know and would be completely mortified if I pointed it out). So Iā€™m no fool: According to most of society, I do look better with the makeup. I donā€™t know which parts of it have to do with actual beauty, sex-appeal, age perception or apparent affluence. But by taking off the makeup, I do lose a measure of social status. That said, I still do it because I want to relinquish that time and space for myself and there is empowerment in not feeling crippled by complexes while stepping out bare-faced into the world.

3 Likes

Selfie-fiends do this regularly too, looking among mostly identical takes to find ā€œthe one where I look good.ā€

I attended a yoga workshop that was like an EST style thing. We were not allowed to wear makeup. I think the main reason they did this was to keep the workshop on schedule since they woke us up and got us to breakfast on a certain schedule and we couldnā€™t have alarm clocks.

I was FREAKING OUT before I went at the idea of not having makeup on, particularly mascara. Blonde eyelashes. I feel so weird without it.

Of course once I got there I was fine without it.

Thereā€™s a good episode of What Not to Wear where they take a woman who is against doing much with her hair and makeup ā€œbecause Feminismā€ and by the end of the episode she starts to realize that being able to dress a certain way and make oneself up is a privilege of being a woman. I liked it a lot. I watched a lot of that show and upped my game about dressing afterward. We gotta get dressed each day, why not make it special?

Also, get off his lawn.

"You donā€™t need to wear makeup. You can and thereā€™s nothing wrong with
it, itā€™s awesome. But if you donā€™t, youā€™re still awesome."

Maybe itā€™s just me, but I would have been more no-makeup-positive, thusly:
ā€œYou donā€™t need to wear makeup. Nope, you donā€™t. Really. Trust me on this. But if you do, then if you were awesome before, youā€™re probably still awesome.ā€

/thinks some people definitely arenā€™t awesome.

I wish it were more commonplace/acceptable for men to wear makeup in everyday circumstances. Every Halloween, I struggle to put on my scary face makeup, and I know that if I had more daily practice it would look much better and take less time.

1 Like

Dude, follow your bliss. Itā€™s never too late to make a career change:
How to Become a Clown!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.