Watch: Add butane to a bottle of Coke, get a totally unsafe high-powered bottle rocket

In turn, the same can be achieved by withholding the money, and therefore leaving them the choice of another experiment/project with a mishap attached. When the Fate and the Fortune are involved, you aren’t really a causal factor and there’s no point in feeling bad.

3 Likes

WE CANNOT ALLOW A COKE-BOTTLE GAP!

11 Likes

Yeah, inverse square law.

1 Like

quite crushing, I wouldn’t be able to keep my spirits up like they do, I would probably go away, or just roll into a ball.

1 Like

My very first thought (after “WTF?”) was “something like this would be stupidly easy to do at a street protest”. After seeing the bottle go through that window, I immediately regretted that thought.

1 Like

What about filling the bottle with gasoline, and lighting it on takeoff? Would the ejection speed be too fast and the atomizing of the liquid too quick to sustain the flame?

What about leaving inert fluid but attaching an impact-activated warhead, e.g. the old sugar-chlorate-sulfuric acid ampoule with said gasoline?

Could the flight be stabilized with e.g. fins?

When Coke bottles are outlawed…

1 Like

More likely a coke bottle itself will stay legal, but having a jerry can of gasoline, a coke bottle empty or still full (“concealed empty”), and a putzwolle-class rag in one vehicle will be a grounds for arson suspicion and arrest.

1 Like

As I understand it, they’re in Ukraine, though it is a part of Ukraine that Russians have kind of decided is a part of Russia. I suspect they’re not terribly glad to be “in Russia,” in a matter of speaking…

Reporter, “So why did you go to the Moon…”

Lugansk, “For the shits…”

Donetsk, “And the giggles…”

3 Likes

Because moon!

2 Likes

Don’t call them Russians. They are in Ukraine.

1 Like

They are Russian speaking, in an area controlled by rebels, and they are being fired at by the Ukrainian army. The battlefield area that they drive through in their ‘day in Luhansk’ video has graffiti of a swastika crossed out on the dam behind the sandbag fortifications, a common bit of anti-Ukrainian rhetoric in eastern Ukraine. After 4 months under fire without electricity or running water (hence the lightning/kite experiments), I have a feeling that they are not too keen on the current Ukrainian regime. At the same time, they are weary of filming around the local militia.

They are young and curious men, who should be in school, but are stuck in a war that they don’t appear to be part of. It is as if normal people get caught up in complicated geopolitical events.

7 Likes

Butane is boiling when it mixes with the coke - the liquid butane is at about -20°C and is lighter than coke/water so floats initially at the top. when it’s turned upside down the cold butane mixes with the warm coke and floats to the top of the bottle again, but now is trapped. It begins to boil raising the pressure inside the bottle and forcing the coke out of the bottom.

5 Likes

Here’s a nifty trick we used to pull on eachother;
Best done when a friend has gone off to the toilet or wherever, and a new round of drinks has been bought.
Open a bottle of beer and empty the gas from a lighter into the neck. (Cheap Bic lighters are best because you can open the valve really wide by slipping the adjuster off the cog and turning it further).
When they return and are about to pick up the bottle, strike a lighter above the open neck and the thing burns like a candle.
Much WTF ensues.

4 Likes

this is actually quite cool: Someone figured out new science from a YouTube video

1 Like

Full Russian here.

Was please to see people not wearing goggles.

But to turn head away, as rocket launches: only сука does this.

4 Likes

As long as it didn’t involve Honey Oil. Tired of dumb kids blowing up their houses here.

1 Like

No. We weren’t in the house - and the only mind altering substance was
being 17.

Umm…someone on his team already tried it. The result was a destroyed spacecraft and a loss of a pilot’s life. It was however, I believe, done without Sir. Richard’s knowledge or approval. The two ground crew responsible lost the company canteen privileges for a week.

2 Likes