WATCH: Alligator pursues Girl Scouts swimming in Texas lake, to no avail

Originally published at: WATCH: Alligator pursues Girl Scouts swimming in Texas lake, to no avail | Boing Boing

8 Likes

“to no avail”

Well, that’s a heck of a headline. Thanks.

:grinning:

12 Likes

Story and tip; tasteless.

4 Likes

“Hey, lets put a Girl Scout camp on an alligator infested lake!” -Texas

12 Likes
13 Likes

Beschizza has a well-known pro-alligator bias.

7 Likes

They never said what badge they’d earned. Swimming? Wildlife Encounter? Product Placement?

9 Likes

Yeah i don’t understand this. As scouts, they (the adults, not the kids), should’ve known that there are gators in the area so why take the risk and get these kids in the water?

10 Likes

Do they have non-alligator-infested lakes as an option in the area?

15 Likes

… the gator they’ve named Karen

Well. That’s a choice.

But yeah, best stay out of the waters in Texas for the time being, at least anywhere there are known to be alligators.

7 Likes

So, what, they knew there were alligators there, and still had the lake set up for swimming (and the Girl Scouts decided to swim there)? Looks like there’s some sort of barrier in the water, but surely it’s not for the alligators - they could easily go around it, and the swimming platform is on the other side.

Apparently not alligator wrasslin’.

5 Likes

How are they supposed to prepare for a badass career if they aren’t taught these important fundamentals?

6 Likes

After eliminating a nuisance alligator, maybe one for “leather tooling”.

8 Likes

“Get me a story about Girl Scouts and make it snappy!”

8 Likes

Lake’s closed. The alligator inside should have told you.

7 Likes

In the Houston area?
No, not really.

There’s a lot of Houston that used to be bayou and is on the way to becoming bayou again.

Gators in Houston is just a fact of life.
Texas has fire ants, tarantulas (mostly harmless), Africanized “killer” bees, several kinds of scorpions, brown recluse spiders, black widow spiders, red wasps, southern yellowjackets, rattlesnakes, giant Texas centipedes, assassin bugs, several kinds of mosquitoes carrying all sorts of diseases, and when it gets right down to it, some seriously questionable waterborne diseases including the notorious brain-eating amoeba.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/26/us/brain-eating-amoeba-found-in-texas-water-supply-trnd/index.html

Some of these hurt, some kill slow, some kill fast, and all of 'em are a hassle.

I can see why folks consider living in Texas to be good training for living in Australia.

12 Likes

Texas becoming more Florida-man every day!

1 Like

It was a designated swimming area in a state park. I think most adults would reasonably assume it was a safe place to swim unless someone had recently posted some signs reading “DANGER! Swimming area closed due to alligators!” or something.

5 Likes

Screen capture from the video, showing a sign stating alligators live there. Not a good idea to swim where alligators live.

4 Likes

Sign says “don’t approach alligators” and “stay in designated areas,” not “no swimming.” This happened in a designated swimming area.

I mean, I’ve let my kids hike in forests where bears live and swim in the same ocean as great white sharks so who am I to say it’s wrong to swim in a place alligators are known to live?

8 Likes