Woman drowns after petting alligator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/07/woman-drowns-after-petting-all.html

6 Likes

The real surprise is that this happened somewhere that isn’t Florida!

20 Likes

I feel sad for the alligator. First harassed and then shot.

20 Likes

went outside after spotting an alligator, petted it, then got pulled into the water and drowned

How Darwinian - there ought to be an award for this sort of selfless ‘Let me remove myself from the gene pool’ sacrifice.

11 Likes

Wait, so her first thought on seeing an enormous terror-lizard is, “how cute, I should really pet it”?

That sounds like what toxoplasmosis does to mice around cats. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this came up during the autopsy, if any.

12 Likes

“i guess i won’t do this again!” – now those are memorable last words. how much wine did she have before this??

26 Likes

went outside after spotting an alligator, petted it, then got pulled into the water and drowned while saying “I guess I wont do this again.”

Nitpick but from another article i had read the woman managed to get away from the alligator after getting pulled into the water. She started to get out while saying “I guess I wont do this again.” when the alligator swung back and grabbed her a 2nd time and killing her.

I really don’t know who thinks petting a wild alligator is a great idea. I can’t even…

18 Likes

Two comments/observations:

1. I do feel more for the alligator; it was just doing its alligator thing, and suddenly, it gets shot.
  2. Why would people gate themselves in with a bunch of alligators?
9 Likes

Bond villain showing off?

5 Likes

Proof that Frederick S. Perls was right in this quote from his book “Ego, Hunger, and Aggression: A Revision of Freud’s Theory and Method”:
As modern times promote hasty eating to a large extent, it is not surprising to learn that a great astronomer said: “Two things are infinite, as far as we know – the universe and human stupidity.” To-day we know that this statement is not quite correct. Einstein has proved that the universe is limited.

3 Likes

Honestly considering the dumb way she brought about her own death it’s nice that her last words conveyed a small bit of wisdom and self-awareness.

12 Likes

[Rorschach Voice]: “I’m not locked up in here with YOU, you’re locked up in here with ME!”

10 Likes

I wonder what she expected to happen. Pulling things underwater and drowning them is what alligators do.

6 Likes

Alligators are very rarely aggressive. I’ve seen them go after dogs and small children, but that is rare. All you have to do around a gator is not walk over and mess with it. Thats it.

From the story, she was likely drunk at the time. Why the hell would they just watch as she approached the gator?

6 Likes

Reminds me of a sign I saw in a small preserve outside Gainesville: “Warning! Do not play with the alligators”. Presumably it had happened to make authorities feel the need to put up a sign.

5 Likes

Of course alcohol was involved.

4 Likes

One for the headstone, for certain. There are literally signs next to the majority of ponds and inlets in South Carolina meant to keep this from happening.image

8 Likes

Dr. Darwin will see you now.

2 Likes

What evidence do you have that the gator was drunk? That it took two tries? /s

9 Likes

At a guess, they were drunk too.

2 Likes