Watch: America is an "out-of-control kid" who needs a mom

Fuckin’ A.

6 Likes

It doesn’t need a Mom, it needs a Dad in the house.

That seriously depends on the mom…

some have absolutely no need for the dad to play authority figure.

1 Like

Yeah, because 46 “dads” have not fucked up anything at all… /s

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

11 Likes

It isn’t a “both sides bullshit”. I am not equating the messages as being anywhere near the same, and only criticizing the delivery. Nor am I suggesting opposing racism is just like racism or standing up for peoples’ rights is the same as people who want to restrict rights.

Even though I agree with a majority of her points, I don’t agree with her delivery or tactic. (ETA to clarify - the her being the lady in the OP, not MTG) It is off putting and condescending and to be honest, I wasn’t 100% where she was going with it at first. The fact I wasn’t sure she was going to go left or right with her points shows that she is using the same folksy “common sense” rhetoric the right likes to use. Personally, I don’t think that is something that should be emulated. YMMV.

But hey, what do I know. The tactic has worked great for the right wing. Maybe that is just what the left needs.

1 Like

Oh, the problem is her tone.

Please, I would like to hear this: what points does MTG make that you believe are worthy?

5 Likes

I think (or rather, I hope) they are talking about Politics Girl.

Their tone policing isn’t cool though.

8 Likes

Ah, I hope you’re right. It seemed like it was in response to the mention of MTG, but I could have misunderstood.

5 Likes

None. The “her” in the sentence I replied to was the lady in the OP. Sorry for any confusion.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

5 Likes

Women don’t really need men telling us the tone we should take, especially when the GOP’s plan for us is full on second class citizenship, if we’re lucky. It’ll be far worse for those of us who aren’t white or cisgendered, like many of my sisters here.

Women are constantly told we need to be more demure, quiet, and not so shrill if we want to be taken seriously. Fuck that. If you agree with her, then do so and let her talk how she sees fit. If someone’s POINTS are solid and you agree with them morally, then maybe don’t tone police them. Men talk aggressively ALL THE TIME and are treated like strong, manly heroes. So let’s drop the double standard, please.

10 Likes

THAT PART.

Actual allies tend to refrain from doing that.

9 Likes

Really? That’s what you got from that? Shoring up democracy, the economy, and reversing climate change is dictatorship to you?

8 Likes

Ah - you’re in traditional psychoanalysis. Blame mommy!

9 Likes

When an ancom watches this and doesn’t see dictatorship, maybe it isn’t dictatorship.

I’m that ancom, and while I have issues with a few of the points it’s hardly the stuff of the peoples stick.

8 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

6 Likes

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that when a country, and frankly a species, can’t adult, the problem is the country or the species, not the members telling it it needs to adult.

As for the substantive points, I agree with most of her proposals except the “if they’re criminals, they’re criminals”, because the problem isn’t that the insurrectionists broke the law, it’s that they tried to overthrow democracy. But I think her underlying point is that the insurrectionists are enjoying privilege that most on the wrong side of the law aren’t afforded, which should be infuriating, if not surprising, to anyone.

And the “truth and broadcasting law” is a terrible idea; I don’t trust any prevailing power structure to define truth and prosecute misinformation. That never ends well.

But with her delivery I take no issue. And I’d probably vote for her over the majority of Americans who seek political office.

7 Likes

Select randomly from a pool of qualified candidates and give them time off for good behavior.

3 Likes

Honestly, a little sortition among qualified candidates might be worth trying on a small scale, especially in corporate governance. Not that I can take credit for the observation, sortition having been a part of syndicalism and communalism for generations.

4 Likes

I am not against it (though I wish the idea above was not lifted from Arthur C Clark (Imperial Earth), who, whatever his pluses, was about as colonial as one could get)

3 Likes