Watch an Airbus A400M land on a beach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/22/watch-an-airbus-a400m-make-a-t.html

7 Likes

Ah, that’s the beast I see flying out of Cambridge airport. I’ve wondered, but I can never get a clear enough view of the thing to see a registration.

3 Likes

That’s an easy mistake to make, but actually they had to take off and do it again because as clearly seen between 0:40 and 0:53, the propellers were rotating too slowly :wink:

4 Likes

Sublime. Though I’d swear the Union Jack on the starboard side isn’t level.

1 Like

I can’t even get my SUV into the garage without cocking it up.

2 Likes

I want one.

(yeah, I know I can’t afford it)

2 Likes

Union Jacks don’t take on European technology. They slide off eventually and need to be reapplied.

9 Likes

Wow. I did the Glasgow-Barra flight last year (the only scheduled passenger service using a tidal beach runway), but that was a ~16-seat Twin Otter, not an A400!

2 Likes

Those are some massive birds. The Luftwaffe is using them also as airtankers.

2 Likes

The beach is not perfectly level and the curved surface (probably curving in more than one plane there) may be playing optical tricks. At least it’s a modest one, unlike the thing Boris imposed on the RAF recently.

1 Like

Tbf the A400M (just like the Twin Otter) was specifically designed for such conditions.

3 Likes

Didn’t know Airbus had a C-130 replacement. The Hercules is an amazing aircraft, but they’re getting old! The USAF has always hated it, because they’re in the ‘not sexy, but get a job done’ category. Their pilots are denigrated by the fighter jocks as ‘garbage haulers.’

(I see C-130’s every day flying overhead because I live close to Stratton ANGB, where the ones that serve the Antarctic and Greenland outposts are based.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.