Watch as an armored car driver displays nerves of steel

Originally published at: Watch as an armored car driver displays nerves of steel | Boing Boing

11 Likes

The world is a dangerous place.

10 Likes

AND WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? Did the van crew make it out alive?

I am surprised that the van didn’t have some sort of panic button to send a signal back to base that they were under attack.

29 Likes

LEAD FARMER

10 Likes

Where and when was this? He was doing good until he high centered on something it looks like. What kind of vehicle is this? It doesn’t look like a Brinks type truck, so I am assuming it is an armored up van of some sort? But maybe it is a Brinks type truck. Check out that bulletproof glass doing its job!

7 Likes

I want to see the full story! All camera angles! Come on, BB!

3 Likes

The video is timestamped, it happened a few days ago. As for where my guess is South Africa.

21 Likes

Right hand drive and the accent, almost certainly South Africa.

19 Likes

Agreed, going by the driver’s accent – or possibly Zimbabwe. (There is allegedly a difference between those accents, but I’m damned if I can hear it. I once asked a guy I worked with if he was from South Africa or Zimbabwe: his answer was, “South Africa! I don’t speak nicely enough for a Zimbo.”)

18 Likes

Bingo, Docked in Cape Town in the early 80’s, we took a water taxi in for an ill sailor, it was off the hook lawless in the area we came into. We hired local gun men to watch our backs for the day. The kicker was when we headed back to catch the water taxi, the same gunmen robbed us, f@ckers.

26 Likes

Of course he had nerves of steel. Probably would have been killed if he hadn’t.

5 Likes

The coordinate stamp in the bottom left corner places the start of the video at 25°44’28.5"S 28°15’30.4"E, so definitely South Africa.

29 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing, it’d be faster than dialing and it could give live coordinates to the truck

8 Likes

No matter the context, it is always worthwhile to watch a professional work. But I hope these two gentlemen were not injured or worse - it is a real possibility. A cursory Google search reveals that cash-in-transit robberies are frequent in South Africa, which as others say is probably where this was. “As we are aware that between February 2019 and February 2020, there were 35 cases of cash-in-transit heists that were reported country wide, with the majority occurring in Gauteng over this period.” (Three arrested, two injured in attempted cash-in transit robbery in Macassar) (probably not the same incident, just background)

3 Likes

The thread seems to detail that both are fine, the robbers left without the contents of the van. Driver was trying to ram them, got hung up on a bollard near the end there.

Link to the thread where folks are stating they know about the incident (no news article apparently): https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/n1s9ub/dodging_a_cashintransit_robbery_the_man_has_balls/gwfat4s/

7 Likes

I tried to find something in the news based on the date in the video, but came up empty. However, I guess Cash-In-Transit heists are a huge thing in South Africa.

ETA - the fact this one doesn’t even seem to have made the news there is wild.

8 Likes

Based on that thread i guess what they were trying to steal was a truck with phones

6 Likes

Poster on that thread says the van was carrying phones rather than cash.

I guess that could make sense? A new iPhone X in its box could be worth more than the equivalent volume of small-denomination bills – I think?

8 Likes

I pegged it for South Africa as well due to the steering wheel and accent. But still, good to confirm.

Holy crap, it’s like some Mission Impossible spy shit right here… “Let me plug in the coordinates.” Beep boop boop beep “Here is the location of the truck.”

11 Likes

If you’re rich enough to hire guards, you’re rich enough to rob.

4 Likes