Watch Australian bush mechanics get a wrecked car rolling

And that’s why the Mad Max films aren’t set in New England.

2 Likes

Not walking staves, hunting spears.

4 Likes

Even better.

2 Likes

There’d be some fairness in that reversal. Those guys currently have a life expectancy of about fifty.

The treatment of Indigenous Australia makes Standing Rock look like a paragon of justice.

7 Likes

Then more power to them!

1 Like

An Australian friend once told me about an episode of, I think, Bush Mechanics where they fire-harden a log and use it to replace the axle on a broken down Toyota.

Can’t find it like.

Same director on both, turns out, which might put something towards why they feel so similar.

1 Like

I notice when pausing it at :52 as they fill the radiator with water, that you can see the whole engine bay. Dust and dirt cover most everything except the air intake plenum and possibly the throttle body. Those look brand new, or at least clean. Stark contrast with the rest of the car. I wonder if they used their axes when they replaced those off camera?

Americans always try and pull new bits out of Bush Mechanics and this episode of Black As to try and call fake. But ten points for spotting something that wasn’t in the reddit thread for this video.

Reality is, this is a cut down clip, and you miss two important bits of context - first, that this is an outstation, which the community out that way will regularly use as a combination between a rest stop, an overnight shelter, and a junkyard/communal parts dump. But yeah, the probably did - in the full version, you also get shots of them scavenging other vehicles for parts. It’s a part of a doco about some aspects aboriginal life in East Arnhem land, not a documentary about fixing junked cars, which is why they’re not spending too much time on the exact details of fixing it.

Seriously, it’s an outstation that’s hundreds of miles from the nearest parts store. What, you think they just popped out to the local Pepboys(Or, Repco around here) for parts?

4 Likes

Driveshaft, IIRC.

They also repair a flat tyre by stuffing it with spinifex, use a termite mound as an improvised jack and start a recalcitrant engine by warming the battery in the fire and spitting petrol directly into the carburettor.

4 Likes

Oh yeah.

It’s one of the lateral bar thingies under the car.

That makes it go.

1 Like

[quote=“Wanderfound, post:29, topic:96513”]
They also repair a flat tyre by stuffing it with spinifex, use a termite mound as an improvised jack and start a recalcitrant engine by warming the battery in the fire and spitting petrol directly into the carburettor.
[/quote]Don’t forget, when their trailer breaks, cutting the roof off with an axe, turning it into a sled, and carrying their gear that way.

3 Likes

There was a Midnight Oil song about this .

2 Likes

Then again that’s a Hyundai; they’d probably still cover it despite the baby head oil cap and busted-out windshield.

not exactly what you described, but with the added bonus that it happened in Russia. where else?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.