Watch Betsy DeVos smirk and smile as she ignores questions about her attempt to gut the Special Olympics

USA LLC, the United States of America Limited Liability Company

3 Likes

3 Likes

CNN says the actual source of the proposed cuts was the White House’s Office of Management and Budget:

According to the education official, the department submitted a request to OMB that came underneath the cap while also maintaining the Special Olympics funding. The official said the White House sent back a revision that removed the funding. Education continued to submit proposals that kept the $18 million for Special Olympics and remained under the cap, but each time, said the official, OMB struck the line item from the request.

3 Likes

I thought it was a joke.

1 Like

I actually feel that we can do private/public education, but not the way the GOP wants to do it (laissez faire, profit driven, designed to undermine public education instead of enriching it by being the experimenting ground for alternative theories in schooling). But it can be done if they go by the same rules. They must hire unionized teachers. They must pay equitable amounts. They must teach to the same standards, and may not interject religion into the classroom. Then, and ONLY then, should they receive public dollars.

Ultimately the real problem is how schools are funded at the state level. Local property taxes are a shit poor way of funding schools, since it results in rich districts with great schools and poor districts with poor schools (I’m generalizing of course since there are always lots of exceptions both ways, but the measures of this bear it out as an overall conclusion). Property taxes should be collected on a state level and distributed equitably to all schools for 80% of the receipts, and the other 20% targeted at schools that are struggling to help them improve.

There are so many structural impediments in our nation right now, particular on taxes and how/when/where/why they are collected, that we can’t even begin to make improvements until that’s dealt with. The underlying issues are our relationships with private/public institutions and taxation, a relationship that has grown sickly for many decades now since Reagan and his band of merry shitlords started attacking public institutions as the great evil of our nation, instead of the grifting rich bastards who steal from the mouths of the poor.

3 Likes

Nice (reply post), Haven’t listened to Old Noam for awhile. He’s kinda calming

This goes beyond just the Special Olympics.

11 Likes

Wind doesn’t blow, it sucks.

1 Like

Where is her humanity ?

I was a recipient of some “special” education.
I know one when I see one.

You know, you have to be a pretty big asshole to cut this program. They do more than just “The Olympics” but other events.

I volunteered one time to help out. They had an indoor flag football tournament and I was like a water boy, I guess is what you would call it. The ages ranged from Middle School to High School I believe. Everyone had a fun time.

I do have a funny anecdote. There was one coach - hooboy - I guess if people with Downs Syndrome want to be treated just like any other person, he was their guy. He is straight up yelling commands and yelling at the players, just like one might see at a heated high school game. I swear to god I expected him to drop the R-word by mistake, but he didn’t.

3 Likes

She also works for the poorest and the richest citizens, who don’t pay taxes.

I suspect the usage shift from citizen to taxpayer came from the right. It’s easier to get people to slash programs if people are thinking of taxes rather than civic responsibilities.

4 Likes

I hate that she is gutting the special olympics, but that is just the distracting turd sparkler on top of a pretty serious and wide impacting turd cake.

The amount of human suffering and lives impacted by a shit health care system is going to be devastating to countless people. Many of these athletes will be impacted more in their lifetimes by the reduced quality of their healthcare, as will we all, then the gutting of this one program. None of it is acceptable.

this is classic republican mind fuckery. put a big awful distracting issue on top of a steaming pile of many more insidious and boring and wider impacting issues, and watch everyone concentrate and freak out on the distracting issue while feeding us the rest of their shit pie deal. enough already. no more.

5 Likes

That smirking carrion bird Nancy DeVos.

I hope this is her future…

image.png

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.