Watch: cycling to work through cavernous limestone mines turned into a business park

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/22/watch-cycling-to-work-through.html

5 Likes

Finally, a shopping mall for C.H.U.D.S.

12 Likes

Springfield Underground.
Just look at it.

Also: we live underground. We talk with our hands.
We store meat. And maybe nucular waste.

That fun had, it is quite interesting to see that the site is used, and vacancies are rare. I would expect that in many other cases, the site would just be closed up.

4 Likes

Reminds me of going thru the tunnels by taxi under Guanajuato Mexico to get to the center of the city.

3 Likes

Look peaceful.

3 Likes

I’ve been in some of these in KC. I think it would make a great Zombie HQ. One place has a paintball part inside the caves.

6 Likes

Blew through a stop sign 15 second into the video. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Later he thanks someone for busting him for blowing through stop signs.

3 Likes

Not so different from where they filmed Day of the Dead. Was shot in PA, but it was another sort of mine-turned-storage facility.

1 Like

It does seem, though, that Edna-Mae-Hound knows to run on the correct side of a stop sign. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If I saw those arms on those handlebars positioned that way in a FP video game, I would think it was very fake looking. Something about that didn’t seem right, the way you seem to see your arms way too much in an FPS. Shows what I know about arms.

4 Likes

The facility is overrun by moisture?

Actually, that seems very plausible.

4 Likes

Half a state away, I know, but I’d still be worried about being chased by the ghost of Injun Joe.

2 Likes

That is quite possibly the safest stop sign to blow through I’ve ever seen - there is what looks like an entire block’s worth of unobstructed open field to his left and right - so he can scan an entire block’s worth of the street he turns onto, in both directions, before he gets anywhere near the stop line.

The only reason I could see stopping at that stop sign in the absence of cross traffic to yield to, particularly on a bicycle where you have no windows to limit your hearing of road noise and no window pillars to limit your sightlines, would be out of an obsessive compulsion to obey all laws, or because there’s a cop car following you.

4 Likes

Or, you know, if you were recording your ride to post it publicly, where it would serve as evidence of blowing through a stop sign for any LEO to see…

One of the KC suburbs has a midnight bike ride that would sometimes go through one of the mines on its route. Great fun!

1 Like

I guess… I mean, I know cops do arrest people who post videos of themselves weaving in and out of traffic at 180 km/hr on their high performance motorbikes, evading police pursuit, showing off their illegal machine gun collection, that kind of thing.

I guess it’s possible that Springfield Missouri has a cop who is that bored and/or personally annoyed at the person who posted the video, that they’ll make a thing out of running the state’s most unnecessary stop sign at a speed that’s so low it would almost be considered a “rolling stop” if he were in a car.

1 Like

Ideal spot for a data center? or would that just heat up the whole place and piss your neighbors off?

Its private property, not a public road. What’s a cop going to do? I guess the private security for the facility could troll YouTube looking for videos to hand out fines with but something tells me they’ve got bigger donuts to fry.

I think I saw Wallace Breen in one of those offices.

2 Likes