Watch Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard play the re-prounouned Beatles song "And I Love Him"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/19/watch-death-cab-for-cuties-b.html

5 Likes

i’m sure i wasn’t alone, but while i was growing up i would often swap the genders around on songs while singing them in my head. it was a coping mechanism while i tried to make sense of my sexuality, waaaay before i had the nerve to come out. this song sounds totally normal to me.

5 Likes

I always thought the Beatles were ahead of the curve when John sang to a woman who had just broken up with another woman in If I Fell:

If I give my heart to you,
I must be sure
from the very start
that you,
would love me more than her

Or maybe subjective / objective pronouns worked differently in Liverpool.

1 Like

When I would sing songs as a kid, I mostly just changed the word ‘girl’ to ‘squirrel’ because I was an irreverent goofball.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Nicely done, Ben.

While I like your take, and would appreciate him being that forward thinking, to me it seems the “her” he’s referring to is another woman he loved previously. He just used “her” to rhyme with “sure”, since “she did” wouldn’t have worked at all.

BUT! That’s just my take on it. I’m open to being wrong as f*ck.

If I fell in love with you
Would you promise to be true
And help me understand
'Cause I’ve been in love before
And I found that love was more
Than just holding hands

If I give my heart to you
I must be sure
From the very start
That you would love me more than her

If I trust in you oh please
Don’t run and hide
If I love you too oh please
Don’t hurt my pride like her

I’m digging this take on And I Love Her though. He does quite a good job. I’ll have to remember to bring this to my wife’s attention. She’s the bigger Beatles fan.

I’m sure they meant the song to be understood as though they had used the proper “she” instead of “her”.

It just always always struck me as wrong, so I occasionally make this point to people who wish I would stop making this point.

I welcome you all to that club :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a warm feeling, being welcome. Thanks!

:musical_note:Young squirrel, get out of my yard…:musical_note:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.