Watch Dolly Parton's classy responses to Barbara Walters' subtly insulting questions (1977)

“Bless your heart” was exactly what I expected Dolly to say in response! :rofl:

14 Likes

I haven’t seen it either.
James Woods, before he became an unemployable kook always seemed to play the same kind of smarmy/sleazy character. (The Simpsons excepted)

5 Likes

She could not have been much shorter. She’s like 5 foot zero. But I like your wiseass answer.

4 Likes

No small part to shows like

and

7 Likes

When Cohn’s acolyte Biff dropped him after it became an open secret that the former had AIDS, Baba Wawa (who often pretended to be Roy’s fiance) went after Donald in later interviews. Which tells us two things: Walters has been a fiercely loyal friend to some of the most horrible sociopaths on the planet; and even so Biff is still too disgusting even for her.

10 Likes

Opening question: “when I think of hillbillies, I’m thinking of your kind of people”

Jesus christ, Barbara. Are you trying to convince people Roy Cohn wasn’t gay, or that he wasn’t actually that mean to Alger Hiss / the Rosenbergs / etc.?

4 Likes

What Walter’s deserved to hear, lol, but she might not have understood what a cut that is. But it would be out of character for Dolly to return derision with derision, I think.

9 Likes

When Corey Feldman brought to light widespread child abuse in Hollywood, she accused him of “damaging an entire industry”. Utterly fucking repugnant.

8 Likes

it would be out of character for Dolly to return derision with derision, I think.

Right?

Maybe Walter’s thought it was on brand for her to be fling “tough” interview barbs, but she chose the wrong target here. Dolly’s continually gracious batting aside of nosy, malicious questions makes Walters look like an asshole.

15 Likes

National. Fucking. Treasure.

8 Likes

I choked up a little, watching this:

11 Likes

I could never stand baba wawa. This “interview” just confirms my initial impressions from a thousand years ago.

It also serves to deepen my respect for Dolly, which I didn’t think was possible.

6 Likes

The more I learn about Dolly Parton, the more I love her. What an awesome lady.

16 Likes

Walters is tabloid trash and deserves to be forgotten from this moment on.

3 Likes

I’m completely here for the reassessment of Walters. I have never known her as anything but a celebrity chaser whose main interview “technique” is to find buttons to push on her subjects, preferably to make them cry.

6 Likes

I’m extrapolating from this a bit to theorize on how Barbara Walters cemented her own media image and career as a “hard hitting, serious journalist interviewer lady.” ™

1. Ask really mean and even insulting questions to try and crack celebrities who might be viewed as upstarts, and show Walters is able to be mean to perceived “lessers” or “oddballs”.

2. Be very respectful and even indulgent to celebrities who might be viewed as mainstream and powerful, to show she is able to be subservient to authority.

That this doubtlessly helped her in the openly sexist times of 1970 is probably not a coincidence. Identification with the aggressor rarely goes over badly in an environment built by aggressors. In particular profit-oriented mass media, which exists to sell advertising from other businesses with the public’s attention as the product.

In essence: a corporate media ecosystem run by aggressors, who thus tend to respect aggression, and who are in the business of cultivating the attention of the masses - people whom the aggressors at the top would also tend to much prefer to fight against each other.

8 Likes

Christ, what an asshole!

3 Likes

Dolly always had a lot of class

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.