Watch: Gentleman steals golf club from pro-golfer's bag right in front of stunned golfer

Originally published at: Watch: Gentleman steals golf club from pro-golfer's bag right in front of stunned golfer | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Perhaps the ‘gentleman’ was hoping for some physical escalating encounter with, or get punched by, McIlroy so he could sue him.

8 Likes

giphy-2 4

8 Likes

The bold and brazen approach to theft is getting more popular these days. See also the thieves who hit the grocery stores and pharmacies in San Francisco.

12 Likes

I can identify with this. I once set my bag down at a table in an airport food court, and I tried to keep an eye on it while I was in line. At one point I look and I could swear it looked like someone examining my camera that was inside the zippered bag. I didn’t rush over because I kinda couldn’t believe it, and the person was so calm about it like no, that must be wrong he couldn’t be stealing it because he wasn’t looking around acting sneaky, looked calm as a cucumber. Sure enough the camera was gone. I couldn’t believe I saw him do it and didn’t react.

13 Likes

Projecting confidence/normality is essential to a good con, it’s impressive that it works even on the owner of the stolen item!

A warning to us all, and sorry for your loss :frowning:

12 Likes

I usually only do this when “accidentally” being in first class on the train journeys I sometimes make. Only two stops.

1 Like

4 Likes

I wooden putt it past him to have iron’d out the kinks in his plan first. Shows some drive.

Something Something sand-wedge

3 Likes

Happened to this guy, too:

8 Likes

So he took it and then went to tee off, and did not leave immediately with the ill-gotten trophy? Sounds like he had a few wee drams in him, and then a few more.

3 Likes

If you look and act like you belong, you can get away with quite a lot.

3 Likes

Apparently taken to an Edinburgh hospital.

“when he walked back and they were taking him out you could smell the reason why it happened”

4 Likes

It’s not the practice range, it’s the 10th tee box

1 Like

Fun thing is it was something like this that led to the creation of golf.

Family lore tells that many generations back in Scotland there was a drunken uncle who showed up for family dinner invited. Pissed he took the old man’s cane all casual and started just this sort of Gentlemen’s quarrel.

Story old as time.
The notion of a “golf clap” also stems from this sort of encounter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.