Watch: Georgetown professor is racist about Black students, not realizing Zoom call is public

Those Ks aren’t as silent as they used to be…

14 Likes

Or “How can our school mentor disadvantaged students so they do better in all classes?” They could possibly benefit from some note taking, study habits, or basic guidance.

4 Likes

Did he post this long form somewhere, such as The Root? Twitter is such a hard read for long form. Thanks.

By the time a student is at Georgetown Law, they already have a long track record of performative academic excellence. It isn’t about race or even economic background at that point. If a professor notices that there are students who are underperforming in their class, one of the first things that should come to mind is, what is the professor screwing up?

12 Likes

Try this:

It usually does a good job making threads more readable.

10 Likes

And one of the most applicable points to this topic: all the tools that girl needed were at her school, but they weren’t accessible to her. Whether it’s the looks you get walking into the room, a condescending are you sure you’re in the right place, or even just being the only person who looks like you in the room, those are all barriers.

Teachers like this are a barrier. People assuming it’s okay, or some mysterious other force other than racism at work are a barrier.

Crossing barriers is exhausting. It steals energy that could be used for other things. Like learning.

21 Likes

“It happens almost every semester, and it’s like, oh, come on. You know, we get some really good ones but there also usually are some of them that are just plain at the bottom.”

In the entire history of legal education, there have never ever been non-Black students who were “just plain at the bottom.” /s

12 Likes

They are not just a barrier, an obstacle to be overcome; people who constantly deny racism and look for every and ANY other excuse for racist behavior are passively enabling racism.

They are part of the larger problem.

17 Likes

I tend not to use those, simply because they’re monetizing other people’s work without sharing the profits.

If you’re going to profit from other people’s labour, you ought to compensate them. These bots don’t.

8 Likes

I didn’t know that. Thank you!

8 Likes

One feeds the other. It’s easier to raise your children as bigots and win over more people to your bigoted group of friends when you’re living in a society that tolerates or even celebrates open displays of bigotry.

11 Likes

I guess I am using barrier in the sense it’s used in the Disability community: literally some “normal” thing that impedes access to whatever is on the other side.

Most of us don’t think of a good, solid set of stairs as a barrier. For a disabled person, it could literally be stopping them from getting into the building. They might be able to drag their way up those steps, but they could do themselves untold damage just getting to that door.

To me, racism is like stairs: a Black person can haul their way to the top, or we can rip out the stairs and install ramps and elevators instead.

17 Likes

Please closely review Nazi Germany for pertinent colorations. Indoctrinate early and often to get the best results. The various religions do the same thing, brain wash’m young.

7 Likes

“And schools that have woodworking classes usually restrict them to boys” has really derailed my brain

8 Likes

Even schools that nominally allow girls to take shop still discourage it. See also: girls in STEM.

14 Likes

20 Likes

Blaming an adjunct for not teaching harder to reach students enrolled at a top law school is victim-blaming. She is labor here, not management. The screw-up is at the institutional level, which is likely enrolling students who are not prepared to succeed in their curriculum at an elite law school. If they are enrolled because of an affirmitive action program (which is certainly possibly and maybe likely), they are apparently not providing these students with enough support to help them succeed once enrolled. Affirmative action does not have to end at admissions. Expecting an adjunct to be responsible for dealing with this on her own is unfair because she is probably paid by the class, and needs to fit in everything she needs to do for that class for a semester in the 5-10 hours a week she expected to work on that class. I don’t know who leaked the video (maybe a salaried faculty?), but it is par for the course for management to simply fire labor for bringing up a problem they don’t want to deal with (this is usually called whistleblowing, and there are legal protections for it). I’m sure that instead of evaluating the success of their affirmative action program and identifying whether it is failing some students, they will just require that all staff do some debunked implicit bias training program like they did at Williams, so they can say they solved their institutional racism problem.

4 Likes

this is even assuming that she’s correct. she’s not talking about statistics, she’s talking about her perception. ( not that proactive mentoring couldn’t hurt, but it’s just as likely her blinders are causing her to selective see black students performing well as the exception regardless of the actual norm )

8 Likes

Excellent analogy; I just wanted to point out that the comments of a (now former) member of the forum were basically ‘aiding and abetting’ the professor’s flagrant racism by gaslighting the commenters here about her alleged intent and meaning.

11 Likes

As an adjunct myself, I would hope that if I threw out some racist garbage like this, I would likewise get shit canned and I would fucking deserve it.

I agree with you that there are major institutional problems with the academy right now. That’s not excuse for employing racist language to talk about your students.

No one is asking her to solve. They’re asking her not to make racist assumptions about her students.

20 Likes