Watch: Honest Trailers does "Hackers"

Originally published at: Watch: Honest Trailers does "Hackers" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Hackers is a guilty pleasure. Laurence Mason is in it, who played Tin Tin in The Crow!

I am not even 100% sure I had seen the movie before I heard/bought the soundtrack. But I 100% support hunting down that soundtrack for the mid 90s electronica. I think this is the first introduction to Underworld via Cowgirl and I was hooked. Oh and two Prodigy songs, including Voodoo people, another first time exposure that hooked me.

The top two must listens for me, from their original albums:

Underworld - Cowgirl (Analog Beep boop loops)

Prodigy - Voodoo People

Full album.

10 Likes

And it is one of the few movies to feature the Apple Newton (the early 1990s PDA that was ahead of its time in ambition but couldn’t really pull off the handwriting recognition it was based on).

3 Likes

Pah. Amateurs. This is how it’s done:

15 Likes

Faster, FASTER!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Wow, Hack To The Future!

I learned how to hack by watching the movie Hackers several times. I…am not very good at it.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I love Hackers. It’s such fun nonsense, with the weird clothes and over the top attitudes

3 Likes

Hackers is a fantastically fun film, but you also need to read Bruce Stirling’s Hacker Crackdown as well

The sound track is still good.

4 Likes

habeas corpus

I’ll bet they can’t even create a GUI interface using Visual Basic to track an IP address.

Also, Wolverine is having more fun.

swordfish-hacking

3 Likes

AND Johnny Lee Miller! Both great actors early in their careers. I was making computer training videos at the time, so dull. This film was about essentially the same topic, and they were so creative at how they depicted it. I can’t say my films were any better as a result, but I had more fun making them. Yes, the technology is laughably outdated, but the premise of ransomware is very topical now.

2 Likes

BBC Radio 1 ran a competition based on Hackers, where you had to answer four simple questions, write the answers on a postcard, and send them in. It tied in with the video release and as I’d actually seen the film, and was fairly familiar with the technology anyway I thought I’d have a go. Several months later, I get a phone call at work to say I’d won, that’s great, I sad, thanks for letting me know.
Day later, I get another call from the same woman, asking if I was available to travel the following April, at which point I had to ‘fess up and say I’d completely forgotten what the prize was!
She laughed, said, I thought you sounded a bit casual about it, the prize was a trip for two to LA for a week, with a hire car, and a visit to the Universal Studios lot!
For that, I will forgive Hackers any damn thing!
Flew with Air New Zealand, it was a fantastic holiday.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.