Watch how to make a wood table with a "river" of glass flowing through

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/09/watch-how-to-make-a-wood-table.html

7 Likes

Not keen on the extra glass side piece, i’d be worried about it breaking off. And visually i think i’d prefer the table without it, just have the main body of glass running through the middle. Still i can’t imagine how much time and effort went into creating this table. Really damn cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a beautiful top, but why the golden legs?

8 Likes

I mean, there’s no accounting for taste, and it may have been the client’s idea, but to me they are very distracting from and competing with the gorgeous top in a bad way.

3 Likes

this is so close to turning a family position it’s climatic

Egads, now here… if I never see another resin pour on instagram it will be too soon.

I love the wood, and generally like the top, but as others have mentioned, the base is a no go. This table is more my preference, if wealth ever overtakes me. It’s by Tai Lake, one of our local treasures here in Holualoa, Hawaii. The live edges are held together with pewa, Hawaiian butterfly mends. http://www.tailake.net/really_recent.html

4 Likes

It’s not resin.

Yes, and sanding to 120 is really not so great, unless they left out steps where they went finer or did something else. I would have recommended not sanding at all. Plane it and card scrape it. When you sand, you rough up the cell structure, clogging them up so the finish doesn’t penetrate as well. When you cut the cells with a very sharp blade, you leave the porous structure open, allowing more finish to penetrate and it ends up with a very glossy, almost gem-cut appearance when you look at it up close. Not to mention that it is as smooth as wood can be, like clear, cold ice.

Cool project, though.

Check this out on sanding vs. planing.

2 Likes

Well different material for the “river”, same outcome. So many woodworkers are doing this - its jumped the shark…

Nice (except for the base).
Would have liked to see how “the glass company” did their stuff.

2 Likes

I agree; for the table itself you can run the slab through a planer, square the ends, and finish it conventionally. I could do this myself with my meager training, but cutting strong glass to meet the contour would be way beyond my skillset.

Edited: OK, I finally looked at the video, and see that he cuts the wood to fit the glass. (a) that seems like cheating, it redefines the meaning of “live edge”, and (b) what happens (not if) when the glass breaks?

1 Like

Forgot your gloves there, didn’t ya…

Ouch.

1 Like

The finish he used (Rubio Monocoat, which looks very interesting) asks for 100 grit to allow penetration. I love the feel of scraped wood, but in my experience it doesn’t allow oil to penetrate any more than fine sanding.

The music is douchee.

1 Like

Heh, I totally missed that…
Been there more than once.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.