Watch how to use dry erase markers to make writing that floats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/19/watch-how-to-use-dry-erase-mar.html

6 Likes

That was pretty cool. I’ve been spending a good bit of time on YouTube watching how-to videos like this. Most recently I’ve been watching ones made by native Spanish speakers because that way I get to learn new arts, crafts, and maker stuff and improve my Spanish a little.

2 Likes

Ha! I was just watching an untranslated Spanish channel on a craft. There’s actually an interesting trend among makers to make wordless howto vids. See the recent post I did from a guy who makes resin spheres as an example. I think it helps with monetization.

I almost posted an untranslated piece on Mexico City’s new “Little LA,” an enclave of recently deported immigrants. The report was in Spanish, but the interviews were all conducted in English.

1 Like

OK, that makes a lot of sense. I don’t normally watch the wordless ones very much because I enjoy the comments on / explanations of the process, but I did see cases where some YouTube maker types were averaging a couple of hundred views on most of their posts suddenly getting many thousands of views on one or two they did.

I guess some people have a panic response when they see a video in a language they don’t speak and immediately click away, and others just try to puzzle things out. I worry sometimes that I’m going to end up on a list somewhere because I spend a lot of time on arts and crafts-related sites in Russia, Iran, Turkey, and other countries - because people who make lists can be idiots.

That probably sounds wildly paranoid, but in the current political climate maybe not.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised; they have some very special properties.

1 Like

Seeing the hearts pull up and float away reminds me of (edit - here’s the original)

This works (you can mute/lower volume on the instructional):

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.