Watch: Idaho lawmaker opposes bill because it "makes it easier for mothers to come out of the home"

Originally published at: Watch: Idaho lawmaker opposes bill because it "makes it easier for mothers to come out of the home" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

To be fair, in some Bronze Age cultures, women had more roles than just as wives and mothers…

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/150521-bronze-age-woman-egtved-modern-archaeology

I’d say it’s more “Atomic Age” as that’s when the whole notion of domesticity cult reached it’s height.

Although, to be fair, the Victorian era notion of the “Cult of True woman hood” and Republican motherhood before that had some influence, it just wasn’t widely spread beyond the elite classes. The New England midwife Martha Ballard was probably far more illustrative of the lives women lived in the last 18th and 19th centuries in North American and Europe.

http://dohistory.org/book/index.html

They are promoting an ideology that never really existed fully formed historically. It’s generally at odds with the lived reality of most women in history, who

40 Likes

Nobody in Ohio wants Idaho lawmakers controlling their lives.

14 Likes

I strongly suspect that he would also oppose any bill that made it easier for mothers to stay at home, i.e. some sort of direct payment to parents of young children.

44 Likes

Yes.

odo-precisely

Because they don’t actual care about families as they actual exist. They care about stamping out anything that deviates from their narrow, bigoted world view of white male Christian supremacy and punishing the poor so they’ll be demoralized enough to do nothing but serve the elite class.

49 Likes

Idaho, not Ohio.

6 Likes

When I see articles like this, I usually look up the location on a map. Couldn’t find ‘Pollock’ in Ohio.
Then I noticed the caption on the screengrab indicated he was from Riggins.
Still no joy.
Looked up his name & discovered he is from Idaho; both those towns are in BFE (as are most locations in Idaho (and other sparsely populated areas)).
So…

2 Likes

You say potato, I say Toledo

17 Likes

That’s how things swing in my house, don’t mess with Dear Wife, she’s a hellion…

14 Likes

Fixed. Thanks!

10 Likes

There’s a difference?

11 Likes

If this troglodyte wanted to argue that one should be able to raise a family on one income, with a new car every two years and an affordable mortgage, regardless of which parent was the earner, I’d support it. We could debate Marx’s idea of reproductive labor in the Idaho state house…good times.

7 Likes

Let us all recite our Wilhoit:

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

18 Likes

And this wont be a strike against him. He’ll be able to campaign on this and get reelected for it. Red states gonna red state.

On the one hand, I’m glad they’re showing themselves for the fascists and bigots they are. On the other hand, I’m discouraged that a lot of voters in the 21st century still agree with these knuckle-draggers.

14 Likes

So is this ban strictly for married women or does it also apply to widows and widowers?

Asking for a (widowed) friend trying to both support and devote attention to two children.

11 Likes

I believe their view would be that women are too emotionally fragile to subsist on their own without a male head of household. They should either remarry immediately following a 40-day mourning period, move in under the protection of a male child, male sibling, or if no other options exists, join a convent or other religious order. Under no circumstances should women be allowed to live on their own or with a friend, especially if named Sappho. Women living alone could lead to a collapse of social order and male egos.

15 Likes

Obligs… slightly astonished no one has posted this yet…

Some peeps be livin’ in their own private Idaho.

6 Likes

Encroaching fascism.

1 Like

One should create a situation where one’s death ends the oppression of the person who cooks your food.

ETA: The bill was for early childhood education. Women able to work and educated children? A lose/lose, from the Republican perspective.

4 Likes