Watch inept boaters catch air and lose passengers at this Boca Raton inlet

All it takes to make a fizzboat go is the turn of a key. With a sailboat, one doesn’t get very far without knowing what one is doing.

10 Likes

I couldn’t believe this monstrosity:

Not to mention some of them had three or four outboard motors. WTF?

11 Likes

It’s mouse’s mouth, not rat.

2 Likes

Sorry for the geographical mixup! Some of them are shot at Boca, most at Haulover, and I was going from decades-old memories from when we used to do our winter training at Aqua Crest pool in Delray. My recollection of the area is as inept as the local boaters!

8 Likes

Yet rat is far more apropos

1 Like

Before it was identified as a LEXUS boat, I thought it looked like a car. Damn thing moved like it could barely cut through the water.

3 Likes

That giraffe looks tall and spotted and young and… lovely.

5 Likes

That is the #1 ugliest boat that I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

Insanity. I played water polo at a national level, and swam in college. I always wear a vest. FFS.

Btw, the key to Haulover is speed. Go slow and you’re dead.

3 Likes

I was wondering that as well, but it looks like the water in the inlet is significantly shallower than outside, causing the waves coming in get much bigger, just as surf breaks against the shore.

1 Like

I have a 16 ft deep V fishing boat and the local lake I frequent can get pretty nasty when the wind kicks up. It can go from dead calm to 4ft whitecapped swells in a matter of minutes.

I’ve had some hairy times working my way back to the marina and more than once I’ve gotten very concerned about swamping the boat.

It takes skill and patience to navigate real choppy seas. I just throttle down and keep the nose pointed into the waves. It’s when you get broadside that most capsizes happen.

5 Likes

Exactly–some mutant offspring of a modern Cadillac and a 1950’s De Soto or something.

And it should really get that growth on its back looked at.

1 Like

It does look tacked on… doesn’t it. Looks like some aftermarket thingy.

1 Like

Are those boaters inept? I think that the conditions there are always bad, and the boaters are dealing with it. The professionals (ITowBoats and Sea Tow) were getting tossed around like everybody else.

3 Likes

Careful with the ñ: año is not the same as ano, coño is not the same as cono, and, in these case, peña (rock, boulder) is not the same as pena (pity, sorrow), despite what Google translate may say.

6 Likes

The sea is a bastard, particularly when you think you have it tamed!

Over-confidence is a real killer on land/sea and piloting anything without extensive training and experience is just reckless.

Lifelong swimmer/surfer/sailor/fisher here and FWIW I still generally think it’s best practice to treat the ocean at all times as though it wants to kill you. Take all precautions necessary!

P.S. I’d also encourage every ocean-goer (or vehicle user) to read and practice the simple system of accident prevention known as John Vigor’s Black Box Theory (aka “The Fifth Sailing Essential”).

P.P.S. It can be surprising what dangerous bar crossings can be managed by displacment hulls with lead keels on longer period swells…

4 Likes

The main difficulty with Haulover, as I understand it, is that waves can come from any direction. They come in at an angle to the jetties, and reflect off of the jetties. Then you add boat wake in the mix…

Still, a bad day at Haulover is a good day at the Columbia Bar. Or Jaws at the Nehalem. Or Tillmook Bar. Or…pretty much any Pacific pass. Bigger tides, bigger swell, colder water, more wind, etc…

Depoe Bay bar on a typical day (Depoe is an “easy” bar crossing and a sweetheart deep water bay)

Here’s Tillamook Bay entry that gets interesting. Try 1:12 in.

The big difference is that only experienced captains leave the bay out West. And we still lose ships on the regular.

8 Likes

Bar crossings are always a trap for the unwary. We have some sketchy ones here in Australia and specific safety regulations for bar crossings (here in NSW). You can cruise around for years and in a blink of an eye discover there is a bunch of stuff you never knew you didn’t know.

3 Likes

That looks like a marital aid in the 1st season of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

4 Likes

So very true, and it doesn’t have to be rough to do it.

2 Likes