Watch Jeanette go from pills to reefer to heroin in this 1961 anti-drug film

This is the old ‘post hoc ergo propter hoc’ thing that I’ve always found idiotic. Wouldn’t, say, milk be just as suspect?

And if everyone who smoked pot ended up on heroin, wouldn’t there be millions and millions of heroin addicts everywhere?

Finally, lets not forget that Heroin was a trademark and branding effort from Bayer: it made the user ‘feel heroic.’ So, who is the instigator?

9 Likes

She later changed her name to “Janice” and was last seen studying for the CPA exam.

Per the opening credits, this one was done with assistance of Inglewood PD and Inglewood Unified School District.

3 Likes

The fucked up thing is that this becomes a part of their “born again” narrative. Being a complete fuckup asshole in your youth lends lots of credibility as a pastor.

10 Likes

Narrator: “Once the heroin makes you too ugly to be a call girl, you become a street walker”

[cut to Jeanette strolling down the sidewalk in her twin set and pearls, but now wearing lipstick to indicate street walker status]

5 Likes

Also, did anyone else notice how Mike just gets hotter and hotter as the filmstrip goes on?

3 Likes

You going to eventually sell your body for heroin?

Because, according to the second film, I may be able to find you some interested parties…

5 Likes

Skip the reefer and you have an idea of how oxy leads to heroin. Since they are pretty much the same thing.

3 Likes

Narco-googles?

You might enjoy this spoof.

5 Likes

If they want to be effective in their scare campaigns, they should put that as the last frame in the faces of meth PSAs.

5 Likes

In honor of Papasan; I’m getting high right now!

15 Likes

“… lost to society…”

So, like, Society isn’t going to do anything to help Jeanette out of her bind? Sounds about par for the course.

6 Likes

How much do we love Eric’s pedal-pushers, and the heroin stash he keeps in the hamster cage?

2 Likes

Jeebus that’s a slippery slope.

ETA: You can tell Frank is a prevert because he never takes off those tea shades.

1 Like

He keeps the scag in the bird cage.

He keeps the meth in the hamster cage.

Whatever became of Papasan?

It’s eating away at me: Who played Jeanette and whatever happened to her?

AFAIK, he just opted not to come back after his unfortunate “time-out.”

5 Likes

He’s true OG around here. Shame to lose him.

(I’M MISSING HIS INPUT RIGHT NOW!)

5 Likes