Watch Jen Psaki point out the idiocy of Texas Gov Abbott's defense of the dangerous and absurd six-week abortion ban

“Today, the Supreme Court supported the verdict of the lower court by a majority of 27,693 to 27,692.”

2 Likes

Let’s be real, he means to decriminalize most rape but bring back lynchings .

9 Likes

“Texas will work tirelessly to make sure that we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas by aggressively going out and arresting them and prosecuting them,” Abbott said.

Honestly I’m shocked that this didn’t get more coverage - this is “recall the governor” level shit in my opinion (I’m not naïve though, please don’t bother 'splaining me). This is the cruelest “let them eat cake” comment I think I’ve ever seen from an elected official. Made me cry :cry:

9 Likes

Abbott’s red herring about catching rapists is even wrong on its face. They’re mostly not “in the streets.”

80% of rapists are known to their victims. It’s not roaming undocumented immigrant rapists like the racists want to pretend. It’s your family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

And 80% of rapes go unreported to law enforcement. And less than 1% that do get reported to law enforcement lead to felony convictions.

13 Likes

It’s also important to remember and notice that part of the official GOP platform in Texas is to dismantle child protective services.

8 Likes

Abbott & Patrick remind me of Abbot & Costello:

Abbott: How stupid can you get?
Costello: How stupid do you want me to be?

4 Likes

No need to go out. Abbott could stay inside the Texas legislature and make a good start.

Czar Abbott neglected to mention doing anything about Incest, for some reason.
I wonder why…?
To the surprise of absolutely no one, other States are falling over each other trying to enact similar laws; especially ones with Governors that have greater ambitions…
There is no bottom of the barrel for any of these people.

But, of course he doesn’t. Otherwise he would be crowing about it.

Their official platform has been off-the-wall loony ever since the Teepers showed up.
2016 Platform
Summaries of 2020 Platform

4 Likes

As much as I despise the ignorance and spitefulness of Gov. Abbott’s words, I take joy in the precision and intelligence of Jen Psaki’s statements. She is marvelous.

2 Likes

Well, if you arrest everybody ( and by that I mean all males who aren’t lily white), then the private prison owners can afford HUGE campaign donations right? So it’s win-win all around. /s

2 Likes

As long as men blame women for their desire for us, this shiat will continue.

3 Likes

“When there are conflicting and equally sincerely held different viewpoints, one particular viewpoint should not be allowed to dominate to the extent that that viewpoint is imposed upon others by law.”

• Embryology for Beginners By Dr Margaret Sparrow
1 Like

There is only one way to eliminate abortion: Make it unnecessary.

We are under the impression that Texas politicians care about what abortion is really about, how to end it, etc. They don’t. Their attempts to topple Roe V. Wade have always been a political dog and pony show designed to appeal to their aging, white, male, Bible-thumping base, and most importantly, their money. Women are an easy target because they don’t have the kind of money the base does, and they are perceived as unable to fight back.

So until we can hit these crooked assholes in the wallet, expect more stupid declarations like this.

1 Like

Well, some of us are not and some of us have been saying that it’s about trying to set back women’s rights all along. So… maybe SOME people are under that impression, but I promise you that most women who oppose anti-choice laws very much know what the fuck is up.

And it’s NOT just about fund raising. it IS primarily about subjugating women again. UNTIL that is clearly understood and countered, this will continue.

8 Likes

Oh, I agree. Subjugating women - keeping 'em barefoot and pregnant - is popular with the base and their brainwashed women.

1 Like

The curious thing is that Conservatives are generally not crowing about the success here. We’re not seeing people celebrating that they killed Roe v Wade. They’re not screaming about the success of the Supreme Court or bust (to kill Roe v Wade) approach. Major GOP figures are either not mentioning it, and dodging questions. Or like Abbot talking about “don’t worry we’ll solve rape”.

Those other states have been falling all over each other to pass these “heart beat” laws for a couple years. It’s not neccisarily a reaction to what’s going down right now.

Some of them are, but as a political tool the abortion issue really works best for conservatives when they get to play the role of religiously oppressed underdogs rather than actual victors. As long as abortion stays legal they don’t have to actually own the consequences of their horrific policies.

7 Likes

I’ve heard that suggested. But it cuts a little close to assuming they don’t believe what they say they believe for me. That they never intended to actually pass this, or expected that the courts they packed to make it happen would actually allow it to happen.

It does seem only the pro-life activists and less than on the hook folks are even glancing at what was really done here.

I think maybe more fear of backlash. Which has been swift, private businesses are threatening pull outs and law suits. The DOJ seems to be going big. And Coney Barret and Kavanagh or not the SC is under extreme pressure, verging on a legitimacy crisis. This particular dick move has not helped that one bit. The law itself is so vague, and over reaches so far that it will cause a problem that undermines it at some point. Some asshole starts suing airlines for flying women out of state, I really doubt it stands up the conservatives on the court had a serious hard on for BUSINESS. Plus the fundamental way it end rounded judicial revue is a much less politicized thing, and nice little excuse for a conservative court to kill it while claiming they didn’t affirm Roe v Wade.

I think they’re just afraid they fucked themselves in the long run.

Pretty much. They’re the dog that caught the car now.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t assume that the rank-and-file “pro-lifers” don’t believe their own nonsense, but as a wedge issue for motivating their base it certainly works more to their advantage when they don’t have to deal with the realities of what success looks like. That’s even more true for the politicians who never really cared about abortion but pretended to in order to win elections.

7 Likes