WATCH: 'Joker' trailer features Joaquin Phoenix as new Batman villain

This movie better not boil down to Incel Joker.

14 Likes

2026: What if the Joker was some kind of campy crime-clown

7 Likes

As much as I liked the trailer. I did have that concern flash on a big mental jumbo tron.

8 Likes

That makes it more of a burn, in that case.

4 Likes

I think this is what helps elevate Aquaman into one of my fave superhero flicks. So many things should NEVER work on screen and yet they do in this. James Wan did a great job in my book of making the ridiculous into fun.

I credit Johns being involved and him modeling a lot of the script on New 52 and things like The Trench.

To your earlier point. I concur it may not be to everyone’s liking and that’s perfectly fine. But I am also never keen on making the bar something unachievable or a moving goalpost. Loving The MCU films but nitpicking Aquaman over “reality of physics” issues is ludicrous in my book. The MCU for all its glory ignores the reality of physical science all the time.

I am personally of the mind set of suspending disbelief/reality when it comes to all these films. To not do so is totally unfair IMHO.

Just based on his performance in The Master, I’d say he’s going to make a very interesting Joker.

2 Likes

But no one did that here.

Every point @IronEdithKidd made was a valid criticism, and she’s allowed to judge any movie any way she wants, just like everyone else.

That’s you. You do whatever works for you.

Really, Q?

In this crazy-ass, nonsensical bizarro version of reality that we’re living in your complaint about someone else’s opinion is that it’s “not fair?”

I won’t condescend to you by saying what every parent in human history has said at least once to their kids, but you already know what the standard answer to that age-old lament is.

And now we really should stop derailing the thread; the topic is Joker, not the merits and flaws of Aquaman.

8 Likes

This might be the best trailer I have ever seen in my life.

Heh. I get it! (And I agree, it looks like a ridiculous movie.)

3 Likes

Yes. Really. To look at any superhero flick and say “well that doesn’t fit the norms of scientific measure” is literally and I do mean literally LITERALLY garbage.

Nothing in any comic book is going to fit any part of scientific reality and especially physical science/physics. It just won’t.

So making that the “well this superhero film WOULD be good but hey that’s just not physically possible in reality” is just a shit opinion and stance in my book. Anyone is entitled to it. But I’m entitled to call it unfair in every possible measure.

Wonder Woman is FAR TOO SKINNY to ever possibly be that strong. She doesn’t have the volume of muscle mass to exert that much strength. Even in measures of comic book land. But personally I’m fine with whatever. Make her look like Gal Gadot, make her look like Chyna. Either way I’m cool with whatever if the acting is on point.

Standards to REALITY and standards to FICTION are entirely different.

On topic: I like the trailer. I love Phoenix. So I have hopes it’s a fun movie. Even if it’s far from the Joker backstory that’s cool. Entertain me. Make me laugh cry smile ANYTHING just make my $9 at the movies worthwhile. Right now I’m all in. It’s not MY Noker but that’s ok, it doesn’t have to be. That to me is what is awesome about these characters. We can get versions and variations and interpretations and we get to enjoy them all (for better or worse).

1 Like

Cool. I’m moving on.

6 Likes

Well i’m intrigued but i’m sick of all the origin stories and the joker does not need an origin story. The scenes with his mother did remind me of similar scenes in you were never really here though, which is a very tough watch but worth it for his performance. I will also agree that if this goes all incel then i’m out.

7 Likes

Or the Penguin in Gotham.

3 Likes

Oh really? I gave up on that around season 2 or something because it bored me silly but what i’ve read tells me that i gave up on it too early. The penguin was good in that though.

2 Likes

I thought the Penguin and his mother were in the first season. I can’t remember how far I got. I was burning through shows when we were bottle feeding, and now that we’ve stopped I get in an episode of This Old House before collapsing in bed.

3 Likes

Wasn’t terribly original in the comic books either.

They were even drawing Logan to look like Clint Eastwood.

4 Likes

Yeah, i think you’re right, i remember that now you’ve said.

2 Likes

I thought it was a pretty high quality show all around, but it would definitely bog down in gritty from time to time, especially for a binger.

1 Like

gacy

4 Likes

Is that another way for saying the Marvel movies are just more propagandistic than the DC because they falsely show that “fighting wars” is a heroic effort and all costs are spared to protect the innocent? Which is the less real version from my read on how things are actually done.

Personally, I’d take the animated Batman with Kevin Conroy over any of the movies. Period. Am I the only one?

5 Likes