WATCH: 'Joker' trailer features Joaquin Phoenix as new Batman villain

I’ve only fallen asleep once in a theater. I was cajoled into going to a late showing of the movie. I didn’t want to see it. Didn’t care about the movie. But there I was at midnight feeling grumpy. Based on the title of the movie this sounds like bad attempt a joke, but for real it was Sleepless in Seattle.

3 Likes

Just watched Aquaman this past weekend, and think you’re being generous here. Observations? This movie didn’t have to suck, but that’s what Zack Snyder does - he makes movies suck. I couldn’t even enjoy the eye candy due to all the serious physics fails. And they totally, completely lost me at dinosaurs. Yup. Turn it off, this is beyond dumb. And one last dig; the ”mom didn’t die, but was stuck living in isolation” plot was a rip off of Ant-man and The Wasp.

EDT: oops, meant to spoiler tag instead of bracket.

2 Likes

That was a nice change of pace from the Nolan-esque ‘dark & dim’ trend.

That it was, and that’s about the best thing I can say about it: it was pretty.

Still haven’t bothered.

PREACH.

Oh good; so it’s not just me.

You just perfectly articulated every issue I had with that film, especially the last two spoiler tagged points.

9 Likes

Just curious. How do you think a movie that releases not 6 months after another movie rips it off? They’d have had zero idea A&W was doing that when they made Aquaman.

And it’s not an original idea for A&w to begin with. It’s a well used storyline. And very recently in the same wheel house was used in How to Train Your Dragon 2.

I’m not saying Aquaman was the greatest film ever or anything. But I think you’re nitpicking and doing some gymnastics to tear it down. It’s a super hero movie. It’s meant to be fun and fantastical and worrying about “physics” just says it’s not your genre to begin with.

It doesn’t matter if it was intentional or not; this was my exact thought upon watching - “Hey, wait… I’ve seen this exact same scenario before, except done better.”

Q, it’s okay if you like Aquaman; it’s okay that lots of other people did.

It’s also okay that some people didn’t.

I just wasn’t impressed because I’m very picky about my storytelling, and now I know that I’m not alone.

7 Likes

I think of him as more of a Super Friend than Hero. It keeps the expectations in check. :wink:

giphy-6

16 Likes

Between leaks and script-shopping, Hollywood spits out twin movies all the time. The difference being that one of the twin movies won’t suck.

5 Likes

I do give the movie some credit;

At least they didn’t try to do a “faithful” live action version of that.

They even managed to make that awful costume less cheesy:

8 Likes

i’m not a huge Batman/Gotham universe superhero/supervillain fan, but i think this looks VERY compelling.

3 Likes

I actually think one of the biggest missteps for Man of Steel was the collateral damage. I don’t mind that there was collateral damage, but I seem to remember that Supes basically took no steps whatsoever to minimize it. I don’t want to compare DC to Marvel too heavily, because they are different properties, but the Marvel films do largely show that you can have your hero characters act to limit collateral during their fights. And most of the Marvel characters are just dandy with killing people on purpose too.

This is an even bigger problem with Superman because he’s so insanely powerful. Having to fight in a way that minimizes collateral, or getting distracting trying to save people from a building he knocked down, are all limitations you can put on the character to add tension to a story, or to a fight scene. Even if you toss out the idea of if it’s in character for him or not, having him worry about collateral makes it easier to write him as a more interesting character.

5 Likes

Same.

It was The Saint with Val Kilmer and Elisabeth Shue, which is a good combo, but noooooooo…

3 Likes

Apparently I’m the only one who saw this trailer and thought, “Geez, that is going to suck.”

Maybe I’m without human feeling, but I have exactly zero interest in seeing an origin story about the Joker’s relationship with his mother.

5 Likes

Arthur? Shouldn’t his name be Martha?

4 Likes

What am I missing here? Have you been to the future to see WW2 or is it a joke about the best one being the one that hasn’t been seen?

1 Like

You’re right, I was thinking of something else. But since Wonder Woman 1984 has Patty Jenkins directing and Gal Gadot reprising, it’s a safe bet it will be better than the Snyder directed suck fests.

7 Likes

Dude, where have you been? WWII ended in 1945.

3 Likes

I think the biggest misstep in Man of Steel was trying to make Clark Kent into Wolverine.

A depressed loner who works odd jobs across Canada looking for clues into his mysterious past while trying to avoid getting in barfights that might expose his super-invulnerability? That’s not just off-brand for Superman, it’s totally unoriginal.

10 Likes

I saw it, and I find I’m struggling to remember anything about it. Except that whole narrative thread where Pa Kent tells young Clark not to be a hero and not to rescue people, including himself, and then gets sucked up by a tornado. Which is pretty funny in retrospect (it was more annoying at the time). Yes, Snyder Superman movie, tell us all about how Clark’s values were instilled by his Earth parents…
I wish Cavil and Adams were given the chance to be in a decent Superman movie, as they’re pretty good.

Having seen that movie is probably why I’ve not been too eager to see Aquaman.

Did they, though? :wink:
I mean, it’s still pretty cheesy. Is it made out of sequins? I feel like a drag queen would give it some side eye for being too camp. I don’t know how one avoids it. Make the outfit look like it was made out of fish scales? (“Yes, I have slain the mighty death-carp of the South China Seas, now make me a shirt out of its hide!”) Ok, probably not.

Yeah, Superman is a god. There’s no real tension about whether he’s going to prevail against the threats themselves, so it’s all about whether he can save everyone. (The alternative is that Superman is only dealing with god-like threats, which isn’t very interesting.)

5 Likes

I did say “less,” not completely devoid of cheese.

I think they are meant to be scales:

You need to get out and see some good drag queens then, henny; for there is no such thing as “too campy” in drag!

7 Likes

Hence my joke :wink:

3 Likes