Watch live as Christine Blasey Ford testifies at the Brett Kavanaugh hearing

Golly it’s hard to imagine why his wife Vanessa recently filed for divorce.

19 Likes

There’s a lot of projection with the right. They often defend their bad faith acts and anti-democracy policies by claiming the left does it all the time. Simultainously justifying what they’ve done and doing more of it. And explaining away scandals and losses as not real and not their fault.

They genuinely believe false accusations are a bigger peoblem than rape. Even if they don’t genuinely believe this is the case. So, they’re clear to go with false accusations on the “they did it first” bullshit. Just like Gerrymandering and Voter supression.

7 Likes

For several years I had agoraphobia/panic disorder with serious crippling (Actual OCD and not internet OCD) the rituals I had all revolved around food tampering I developed that after the Tylenol scares. I could only handle eating food that other people had already opened or was in the process of eating. Say a dinner everybody else was already eating. I got over a lot of that in the space of a week due to a dream job offer in another state. I managed in the space of a week to get on a damn plane and fly across the country to intern for 3 months and eat food mostly normally there.

Anxiety problems are weird and it is quite possible to over come with enough motivation.

Don Jr needs to fuck off.

22 Likes

I can’t right now with this…it is so ridiculous!!!

The GOP’s entire stance seems to be at this moment: “Well, since you didn’t pay for the polygraph out of your own pocket and you have a fear of flying…therefore you were never sexually assaulted.”

WHAT KIND OF LOGIC IS THAT.

19 Likes

That’s Curse of Monkey Island logic, that is.

9 Likes

And they wax and wane with overall stress level. She’s under incredible stress. Of course the flying issue was worse for this than for a fuckin vacation.

12 Likes

I’m terrified of helicopters. I don’t even like those little toy drones that fly like that. But if one were coming to rescue me from a burning building I’d probably get in it!

15 Likes

It began at 7am PST, this morning.

Argh! It began at 7am PDT, which is 6am PST but nobody uses PST in September.

3 Likes

Is it me or is Rachel Mitchell’s questions downright baffling? I swear I’m getting this vibe from her:

com-gif-to-mddddp4

18 Likes

Yeah I hear 'ya. I saw Marine One* fly over during my lunch break today.

*One of the decoys anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, I heard that. Both “attractive” and “pleasing” can have double meanings. Way to keep it ambiguous.

I understand why the Republicans hired Mitchell, but honestly, I don’t think it’s working out very well for them. Ceding their time to her makes them look like they’re incapable of controlling themselves during the hearing, especially since the questions she’s asking are really banal.

And maybe they are incapable of controlling themselves- Grassley certainly can’t. He’s coming across as an unmitigated asshole. If I was walking along a beach and saw him drowning, I’d happily throw him a cinderblock.

12 Likes

I think you just answered your own question, if there was one there. They’re using her instead of questioning her themselves in the hopes of avoiding looking like assholes.

9 Likes

the republican line of questioning has been all about raising questions about motives for accusing Kavanaugh, and highlighting the areas of her memory that are unclear and also periphery to the assault.

they are laying grounds for claiming she was unconvincing, which will be outrageous.

If the GOP does indeed produce patsies to claim they were the assaulters we will be looking at blatant evidence fabrication.

7 Likes

What the hell with the “This five minute increment thing is bad and all YOUR FAULT!!!”

6 Likes

No question, just ruminating. I’m clutching at whatever straws I can find.

3 Likes

The funny thing is, often enough “they” didn’t do it first, it was the Republicans. See: Identity politics.

5 Likes

They’re rare indeed in this shitshow, those clutchable straws.

6 Likes

Looking at the #KavanaughHearings tag on twitter I swear I’m watching a different feed than the #Maga crowd is watching.

8 Likes

Like I said its a completely normal court room tactic used to slowly erode a witness’ credibility and use to probe for areas that can be used to impeach. The repetativeness, and boringness of the details questioned are sometimes an attempt to get a jury to tune out on a witness so they’ll discount or miss pertinent details. Sometimes meant to unseat a witness so they make an admission or mistake.

Its not terribly effective without a jury, cross examination, additional witnesses to widen holes you’ve poked, or the closing statement that calls back to them and sums it all up. Presumably this is why the GOP wanted a prosecutor. They wanted an interrigation. They wanted tactics known to counter act credible witnesses. But this isn’t a court room, and Blasey Ford isn’t going off the rails.

Usually “they” didn’t do it at all. And nothing happened in the first place. The inciting incidents, when there are any. Are things like a loss in an election where all public polling indicated a loss. But “alternative polling” assured a landslide win.

8 Likes