Watch live: Senate Democrats filibustering for gun control

Not really. They use different kinds of ammunition, and an assault rifle is designed to fire rapid bursts, whereas a hunting rifle is designed for single shots. Moreover, the specific kind of assault rifle used in Orlando can be easily converted to a semiautomatic weapon, which a rifle cannot. Also, assault rifles use high-capacity magazines. Defining an assault rifle is extremely simple and has been done before.

It has been done before but it was largely ineffective. That ban only applied to guns with multiple “military style” features most of which had nothing to do with how effective they were.

Assault weapons don’t use different kinds of ammunition, they use all kinds of ammunition. And limiting ammunition type would just make manufacturers switch ammo. Restricting magazine capacity wouldn’t work, I think, because it’s just too easy to create a high capacity magazine Especially these days with 3D printing.

The most natural line to draw, as I alluded to in my previous post, would be restricting any gas operated long guns. Gas operation is what gives “assault rifles” the ability to fire so quickly. Requiring a permit for those guns makes sense to me.

2 Likes

Update: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/16/enough-senate-filibuster-ends-as-democrat-claims-gun-control-victory

3 Likes

Okay. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here.

What I hear you saying is that it’s okay for the government to (behind closed doors) make a predictive judgment about who might commit a crime in the future, and based on that judgment, permanently restrict someone from doing something that is legal for all other law abiding US citizens.

If you are not saying that, I will gladly stand corrected.

3 Likes

I am not saying that. I’m saying that background checks should definitely include people with a criminal record or with literal, actual ties to terrorist organizations (not just saying dumb stuff on Facebook, like Omar did). I’m also saying that we need very severe restrictions, if not a ban, to prevent assault weapons from getting into the hands of civilians as much as possible. Will it prevent massacres? No. But it’ll prevent a pissed-off, drunk, self-loathing closeted homosexual from walking into a gun store and, in five minutes or less, owning a weapon that can kill 49 people very quickly.

2 Likes

No one on a watch list should be allowed to vote either.

1 Like

Hi! Gosh, thanks! But I’m not “wrong about the First Amendment”. Thank you for your concern anyhow!

This is where you went wrong. I think popehat cleared it up for you.

Pattie, if you’re going to link to Popehat because of “Fire in a crowded theatre,” link to this one:

Or this one:

They’re much better examples.

Edit: correcting typo

2 Likes

I can also link to Christopher Hitchens yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater. It’s on YouTube. It was perfectly legal.
Sorry if I upset you.

Thank you! It’s an old trope, as he states, but my point wasn’t specifically about endangering people in a theatre. It was that the courts have refined and defined exactly what the First Amendment protects in the past 200 years or so, just as they can clarify what the Second Amendment protects. Neither is black and white. (And yes, I was a little baffled by the first link to Popehat as well)

1 Like

Oh, you didn’t upset me, at all. I apologize if I gave you that impression. I’m just saying that neither of the cases that Ken White describes in the “You’re wrong about the First Amendment” post apply, at all, to the post you were replying to.

3 Likes

Background checks are checking for people with a criminal record.[quote=“nungesser, post:66, topic:79843”]
No. But it’ll prevent a pissed-off, drunk, self-loathing closeted homosexual from walking into a gun store and, in five minutes or less, owning a weapon that can kill 49 people very quickly.
[/quote]

Which has never happened, not once. Might as well say it saves the life of Santa Claus.

As I understand it, the Orlando shooter had legal guns, was a security guard (so might have had more access than regular folk), was in a “gun-free zone” and didn’t buy weapons in “5 minutes”. He may have been closeted, he may have been drunk. He could have had a pressure cooker bought at Wal-mart and killed 50 people. That’s one more than your drunkard strawman.

2 Likes

Um.

Yes, he had “legal guns”; that’s exactly the problem we’re discussing. They should not have been legal. At all.

He had bought an assault rifle about a week before the shooting. Multiple news sources have tried buying exactly the same gun since then, and the gun store told them that the transaction & background check usually takes less than five minutes. He had been visiting gay nightclubs for about three years on a regular basis and chatting up various men with gay dating apps.

Which specific strawman did you think was untrue, again?

3 Likes

From your Wikipedia cite: The term assault weapon is also commonly used to refer to some military weapons and weapon systems. The similar but technical term assault rifle refers to military rifles capable of selective fire - automatic (full-auto), semi-automatic, and burst fire.

Your using “assault weapon” and “Assault Rifle” interchangeably. That’s not factually correct. “Assault rifles” are already banned, as in they must be older than 1986 and you need special licencing, pay special taxes and they can cost 10’s of thousands of dollars.

Then you imply the Orlando weapon was converted to full-auto? You have a citation for that? Or are you just fear mongering?
FYI: You can also convert some pistols to fully automatic. And you would be breaking a lot of laws if you did that.

1 Like

But it’ll prevent a pissed-off, drunk, self-loathing closeted homosexual from walking into a gun store and, in five minutes or less, owning a weapon that can kill 49 people very quickly.

Isn’t it a strawman since none of this happened in real life? Maybe strawman isn’t the right term. But it’s not what happened and you even said it wouldn’t prevent massacres anyway.

I didn’t say that nor imply it. I said that the kind of weapon he used can be, with some know-how, converted to full auto. It was an example contrasting it with a hunting rifle (which can not).

You’ve said that twice now. Which part of that didn’t happen in real life? The gunman was known to be angry, he was apparently a closeted gay man who was married to a wife he was known to have beaten repeatedly and had a fundamentalist father, so who knows what was going on inside his head. But we do know that his transaction to purchase his weapon was extremely fast and that he used it to kill 49 people and was, from some reports, inebriated.

1 Like

Hunting rifles can be converted to full auto.
Sounds like you’re fear mongering. Sounds scary and it’s technically possible.

It’s also hella illegal.

1 Like