Watch: Man strangles girl at park because she and teen friends are not social distancing

It is weird, I’ll grant you. But on the other hand, strangulation in the context of domestic violence has a much higher correlation to eventual murder than other injuries.

10 Likes

People are losing their damn minds.

14 Likes

I’d guess because, even in a suddenly tense situation, and even if someone’s a teenager ignoring a social distancing directive, it takes a bit of time to switch gears and toss civility entirely out the window. Most “normal” people won’t go from talking to kicking someone else in the head. They probably barely had time to parse what was happening.

24 hours is plenty of time as far as the virus is concerned.

13 Likes

Yeah, I get his anger, but he pushed past 3 girls to attack the only one sitting on the ground? Nope. I’m not buying the random circumstance argument. The sheer distance he had to cross just to get to her was clear intent.

13 Likes

Yup. He had to travel at least 20 feet and push past 3 other teens to get to her. Not to mention, she’s in a reclined position and it looks like she had already been knocked down. I challenge the “random coincidence” argument.

7 Likes

What an interesting way to volunteer to be a prison physician!

14 Likes

What is it with these Kentucky doctors and their physical abusiveness and poor judgment calls?

(I am including both of the Kentucky doctors in the other story to which I’m referring under that rubric, btw.)

A healer walks among us practising the laying on of hands.
Here, let me demonstrate anesthesia…

5 Likes

Holy shit. That is horrifying on several levels.

From what can be seen in the video anyone present would have been totally justified in using whatever level of force necessary to end that easily life-threatening attack.

I can’t see any place in the discussion to criticize these kids when the guy is aggressively doing much worse than he seems to imagine them being guilty of. (literal physical social distancing conceivably works disproportionately to the statistical social distance (in the probabilistic social graph sense), if these girls are already closely associated, (roomates for example), it’s way more problematic for a complete stranger to invade their space from an epidemiological pov), in other words, mind your own damn business creepazoid doc.

14 Likes

As concerned about the spread of the virus as he purports to be, I wonder why he’s not wearing any sort of PPE.

Definitely something else going on here.

3 Likes

Besides the epidemic itself, it’s a field day for authoritarian characters. Everybody who has always been annoyed about anyone or any group, young people partying “too loud”, people of different ethnicity not being “where they belong”, or just a neighbor whom they hold a grudge against. They’re all getting up on their hind legs now, and the rigorous regulations to fight Covid give them a great tool to denunciate and swat anyone and anything. This strangly gentleman still is a bit of an exception in that he gets physical himself; his attitude certainly isn’t.

15 Likes

It seemed to me that the girl on the ground might have had his companion’s phone and was holding it behind her.

With only 28 seconds of video and no other context it seems conclusions could be wrongly (or correctly) drawn.

1 Like

Didn’t you used to have a full beard, or am I confusing you with another commentor?

That’s how you get bruised toes; and that is why God gave us baseball bats.

I’ve certainly lost mine. I climbed all over the table, and still couldn’t find it.

@just20 Welcome aboard, comrade.

Or being “uppity”. :frowning:

11 Likes

Doesn’t everyone in the US carry pepper spray? That stuff doesn’t recognise the words ‘social distancing’.

1 Like

I did, but since I’m the designated grocery shopper of the household, and it interfered with properly wearing a mask, it had to go.

Why would you think that? Speaking for myself, I’ve never owned a can of pepper spray.

10 Likes

thanks but no. i don’t want to “watch” that. hearing about it and/or reading about it is more than sufficient. i don’t know why anyone would want to see it happen

4 Likes

Thank you for your sacrifice. A far better example than that provided by Dr John Rademaker.

@imaguid I suppose that the positive bit is that it is possible to observe anti-social behaviour such as this, and so it doesn’t go unremarked and uncensured. That said, I’m with you in not wanting to expose myself to images of actual violence (I’m fine with the pretend stuff to a point).

4 Likes

“Rademaker works for One Anesthesia, a company contracted by the Baptist Health Hospital in Louisville, and was placed on administrative leave after the incident, CBS reported.”

He got carried away but did what comes naturally, rendering people unconscience. Bonus points working for a Christian medical association. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Given the video is short that one girl could have said something specifically to provoke his anger. So it might not be racially motivated, it could be he was extra pissed at the one that said “make me!” or anything else. So I would say this is clearly assault and battery, but it might not be a hate crime. (one could also in this time of plague make a case for reckless indifference to human life, or attempted manslaughter)

I do get it though, I am pissed off when I see groups of people. I have to remind myself that that could be a family, or a group of renters from one house. I also get pissed off when people quite obviously drive to other people’s houses to socialize, and I haven’t come up with a plausible excuse for those, but I’m not the quarantine police. I haven’t been empowered to go make them break it up. I’m sure as hell not going to break my own quarantine in order to tell them off let alone attempt to physically convince them. So while I’m 3% sympathetic, I’m 97% condemning. If I were on a jury I would surely vote guilty (except as noted maybe not to any charges pertaining to hate crime or racial motivation, or premeditation)

1 Like

Yep. If he is following all the guidelines, that these kids are here, even if they DON’T all live in the same flat, will have absolutely no effect on him. Unless, of course, he gets up in their faces and breathes their air, which he did.

This weekend my neighbor came over to chat. He bitched about how our governor isn’t doing enough to stop the spread (she is) and then invited us over to a bonfire later where he had a bunch of people over from all over the place. Ugh. We did not go. I figure, stupid’s gonna stupid, but it doesn’t have to effect me as long as I stay smart.

ETA: upon reflection, I see that as a medical professional, their actions are more likely to have an effect on him. Hadn’t thought that through before posting initially. Still no excuse.

1 Like