Watch: Man strangles girl at park because she and teen friends are not social distancing

Indeed. I can understand a motivation, and even maybe sympathize without it, and still find the act itself utterly wrong.

Maybe in fact more so if it was an event I have stayed my own hand in (“I haven’t strangled any morons, why should this dude get a free pass?”)

4 Likes

Totally. “Hey, I want to do that, too, but I’m practicing some self-control here. No fair!!!”

4 Likes

I’m really much more angry with the Daily Beast and Boing Boing for their leaps to conclusions and inaccurate reporting.

Neither source even mentions that the woman on the ground with a ponytail in jeans (the black young woman) has taken the blond white woman’s camera/phone (we could speculate that it’s his wife?). We don’t see that happen in the clip. Blond woman has her camera in her hand, camera moves and she is out of frame. When the camera moves back the woman with the ponytail and jeans on the ground and the blonde woman are struggling with each other. Blonde woman says something like give me my camera back. Woman on the ground continues to keep the camera from the blonde woman but the black woman is on the ground on her back and the white lady is standing above her. Man calls the woman who has stolen his wife’s camera and refuses to give it back an asshole. As he walks over the two women are still struggling against one another. One could also speculate that he is defending his wife and trying to get her camera back.

Two older white people, a man and a woman and a young black woman. Race plays a factor. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

The one woman had no right to touch the other woman’s camera or phone – it’s a public place – anyone has a right to film what they can see and a right to use whatever words they want to curses or no, smart ass replies too. Neither woman has a right to touch the other. Does the man have the right to use force against what he perceives as an attack on his wife? Don’t know. Does he have a right to use physical force to try to get his (his wife’s?) property back? Does his force rise to the level of deadly force when he goes for the woman’s throat? It’s very hard to believe that he would have tried to strangle the young woman if she were white. He clearly attacks the young black woman. Looks like a number of crimes were committed by at least 3 people. If only the large older white man got charged, that seems fair.

We are certainly seeing the inner Homeowner’s Association Board Member come out in millions of our fellow citizens who never knew they had it in them.

1 Like

I saw a flyer in the park recently about running and wearing a mask. Decorated with that “Belgian/Dutch Study” headline and ugly but weirdly compelling contagious Maalox man image.

You know, I’d like to run with a mask, but I can’t get enough air that way. So I’m just gonna be really good about allowing distance instead. Really trying my best here.

I tore the flyer down, almost needless to say.

1 Like

Just walking around in one tickles my brainstem. I really don’t know how people do it day in and day out. Yet I’ve passed spirometry testing certifying that I can run up ten flights up stairs in a much more restrictive respirator without popping my cork.

508.170 Strangulation in the first degree.

1. (1) A person is guilty of strangulation in the first degree when the person, without consent, intentionally impedes the normal breathing or circulation of the blood of another person by:
  2. (a) Applying pressure on the throat or neck of the other person; or
  3. (b) Blocking the nose or mouth of the other person.
  1. (2) Strangulation in the first degree is a Class C felony.

508.175 Strangulation in the second degree.

1. (1) A person is guilty of strangulation in the second degree when the person, without consent, wantonly impedes the normal breathing or circulation of the blood of another person by:
  2. (a) Applying pressure on the throat or neck of the other person; or
  3. (b) Blocking the nose or mouth of the other person
  1. (2) Strangulation in the second degree is a Class D felony.Effective: June 27, 2019
    History: Created 2019 Ky. Acts ch. 183, sec. 2, effective June 27, 2019.

OTOH Kentucky has stand your ground, if he’d used a ranged weapon he may have had a fighting chance in court.

Obviously shooting people for partying is not ok but I do think if you purposefully cough on someone (another trope I’m seeing) you deserve what happens next

The number of people in this thread who seem to be okay with a grown adult strangling a teenaged girl is shocking…

15 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.