Watch "Mondo Elvis," a short and unsettling 1984 documentary about extreme Elvis Presley fans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/watch-mondo-elvis-a-short.html

2 Likes

I’m not one of the nutters who thinks Elvis faked his own death to get away from these people, but if he did I’d understand.

21 Likes

I have a sense that in 10-20 years people who know anything about early rock and roll will know about Chuck Berry and the Beatles and The Band, and when they take a history class about the era they will be flabbergasted to learn that the most popular musician of the time never wrote a single song and seemed to be obsessed with getting into the Guiness Book of World Records for “Most Sequins Attached to a Single Person”.

4 Likes

whenever I see the words “extreme” and “Elvis” together I think of this guy. Wonder whatever happened to him.

1 Like

I’ll stick to Bubba Ho-Tep.

10 Likes

bubba-ho-tep-stuff-on-you

This still might be Coscarelli’s greatest movie…

11 Likes

Still disappointed the long-rumored prequel Bubba Nosferatu: Curse of the She-Vampires apparently never got off the ground.

8 Likes

I’ve only seen John Dies at the End. I avoided Beastmaster when it seemed to be on a cable channel 24/7 years ago.

2 Likes

Without Bruce Campbell? That hound dog don’t hunt.

8 Likes

I have a soft spot for Phantasm, my second favorite horror franchise after Evil Dead. But Bubba-Hotep is his master piece for sure.

And when I was a kid, when Beastmaster was on cable 24/7, I watched it every. single. time. it was on…

Agreed. I love Paul Giamatti, but Bruce Campbell made that movie.

8 Likes

Apparently they were seriously considering Ron Perlman for the movie at one point, because why the hell not I guess.

8 Likes

He played a great Fiery Blaze.

https://www.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/10-ron-perlman-performances_8.htmlimage

5 Likes

Maybe I should give it a try.

3 Likes

It’s campy good fun… Marc Singer in a furry loin cloth, with his two adorable thief weasels, hanging out with Tanya Roberts and the fantastic John Amos, and Rip Torn as the bad guy… What’s not to love.

You know, I have not seen it in years, and my 17 year old has NEVER seen it…

7 Likes

I saw it as a kid in one of the giant (but usually empty for matinees) movie theaters of Bangkok. Fortunately, first runs were almost never dubbed, so it just had Thai subtitles at the bottom.

I remember my father had a theory that the bat people were the souls of the dead villagers, which I liked, but doubted that much thought had actually gone into it.

Weren’t there sequels?

5 Likes

this sums up the '80s as a whole really

6 Likes

Turns out, that beat the hell out of obviously unsettling.

2 Likes

We don’t talk about the sequels…

4 Likes

Dear dpease, Those pics frightened me.

1 Like

Extreme Elvis was the only real Elvis in my book.

2 Likes