Watch Neil Diamond surprise audiences by singing "Sweet Caroline" at his Broadway show's opening night

Originally published at: Watch Neil Diamond surprise audiences by singing "Sweet Caroline" at his Broadway show's opening night | Boing Boing

image: Neil Diamond in 1976 by m. superstein/Shutterstock

1 Like

A random series of events made this song a ā€œthingā€ at Fenway Park more than 20 years ago. In the 7th inning stretch they do ā€œSweet Carolineā€, with emphasis on the ā€œSo good so good so goodā€ and ā€œBAH BAH BAHHHHHā€ parts. Neil has come to sing it there a few times too.

4 Likes

We love Neil Diamond. The very first concert we took our daughter to was a Neil Diamond show in Detroit. She was about 7 and we were in the 4th row, she was hooked.

I remember when he would come to town and sell out several nights in a row. Weā€™ve seen him countless times, he is one hell of an entertainer.

In an interview once he said of course the sparkly shirts were over the top but he wanted his fans to be able see him.

That video is awesome and sad but Iā€™m glad he still gets around.

2 Likes

I great up in the 70ā€™s hearing Neil Diamond everywhere, all the time. Those songs have just been part of my world, unavoidable, non-confrontational, without seeking them out, for my whole life. So, not gonna lie, this clip made me tear up a little. Neil!

7 Likes

Awful.

Neil should be the only one singing this song. That voice, doing that thing, is transcendent stuff. One of my favorite songs from childhood.

But I hate the sing-along sooo much.

1 Like

That right there is a pro, a trouper, and a showman. Truly wonderful.

2 Likes

It seems to have somehow become a sports anthem more broadly - both of Englandā€™s football and rugby teams hear it sung when they play - and it seems to have infiltrated other sports, globally, too.

3 Likes

Yes, and:

a) I really donā€™t understand why
b) It does my fucking head in.

1 Like

a) crowds like a good sing-song
b) everyone knows the words

Just speculating. I donā€™t really get it, either.

Though the England Rugby Union crowd were made aware that Swing Low was not really a good idea any more, and as that was their ā€˜go toā€™ anthem, they needed to find a new one. Was that where it really started to spread? No idea.

1 Like

One of the few concerts Iā€™ve ever been to was Neil Diamond, shortly after his movie ā€œThe Jazz Singerā€ came out. He was incredible. I went with a buddy, whoā€™d been to a dozen or more concerts by artists ranging from Elton John to Rush, and he said Diamond gave the best concert. He wasnā€™t even that big a Diamond fan.

4 Likes

The way his companion wants to make sure heā€™s safe is really touching.

3 Likes

Really a disappointment that the clip is only a minute and a half. But I like what I heard of the singalong.

2 Likes

We were at Eddie Moneyā€™s last concert before he passed. His daughter had been on stage with him for several years but at this particular concert we could tell something was wrong, she stayed with him and kept her eyes on him the whole time all while she and her dad rocked but they did bring out a stool for him to finish the show. He was also a true entertainer only thinking of the fans.

Family is something.

The woman with Neil was the first thing I noticed, it made me sad that he needs it but, like you, happy and glad that he has someone to watch out for him.

2 Likes

Me and the wife listened to this entire album at work today. It was released 50 years ago yesterday. If youā€™re bored itā€™s worth a listen, you can find the entire album on YouTube and hear some songs that will make you scratch your head. Like Soggy Pretzels.

Hereā€™s Sweet Caroline live before all the ba ba bas.

And a favorite clip singing Song Sung Blue with Helen Reddy and Henry Winkler at the peak of The Fonze.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.