Watch new footage from Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

My recollection of the prequels was both. But honestly hated them enough to watch once and never again. So I’m certainly no authority.

Because everyone overlooks R2. Its part of his evil scheme. He has been the villain the entire time, manipulating events.

3 Likes

I’m also pretty sure we’re getting Palpatine force ghost, and not one that had a meaningful impact on the plot.

Who says the technically genderless, don’t reproduce that way droids even understand that it might be weird?

C-3po is at the very least pretty socially clueless.

2 Likes

Droids interface all the time with the same model droid, from the same factory. NBD for them. Humanoid hang ups aren’t his field, for that stuff you need a protocol droid.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Alas, while I purchased solo when it was marked down, I only saw the dungeon fight buddy binding scene.

I was kinda put off since the main character does look nothing like the original one. The fur color is off and the ArrrrrGhl is pure southern accent, while Chewbacca was from the north. At least Solo looked like in the original movies, which I guess is a given when you make a movie about a sidekick.

Faster than light travel, pretty much implies time travel.

1 Like

was this the only mention of time travel?

“C-3PO: Is there anything I can do? Luke: Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock”

3 Likes

Technically, they can speed up time. Get into a spacecraft, bring it to relativistic speeds instead of going to hyperspace, sit out the boring dry season (which is between the even-drier season and there’s-a-single-cloud season on tatooine) in hours.

1 Like

I’m an old school Star Wars fan. I know they’ve tried to explain everything over the years and added a lot, but in the original trilogy, that light speed never seemed to obey actual laws of physics. It just meant going really fast. Like if light speed worked the same as sound speed. Like you can go faster than it without anything crazy happening.

2 Likes

I would add the opening crawl completely dismisses any real world science trying to poke holes in the “science of Star Wars”…

We have no idea what the actual mechanics/science of their space actually is. It’s a fictional world with it’s own laws governing it. Trying to theorycraft poke holes in it just ruins it IMO. Check your brain at the door, enjoy the story and spectacle. :blush:

3 Likes

Semantically sure. But that is not what we are talking about. Besides, star wars has always had a weird mix of FTL and hyperspace travel. Different than stepping through a energy portal im ABY 27 and ending up in the days of KOTOR

It was never really a sci-fi series, it’s a fantasy series that happens to be set in outer space. Trying to work out the physics is like trying to unravel the mechanics of Sauron’s rings or how seasons work in Westeros.

7 Likes

It’s a period drama, set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The series has literal space wizards.

I get the fandom urge to know more. But with Star Wars the tendency to connect and explain everything is a fair bit of the reason the prequels are so eeeeeeehhhhhh and the old EU was so redonkulous.

I mean that’s how you get midichlorians.

So I’m not putting much stock in the time travel and clone talk, which is pretty much all over the place. To the point where I’ve seen people online attacking JJ Abrams for the clone stuff, despite that being a fan theory with no connection to the guy. These things are speculation from particular types of fans more rooted in their own preferences than anything in the films or extended material themselves. They started before TFA came out, and mostly before anything was known about it. And as each entry comes out, and doesn’t work with the theory, the theory changes to somehow still be valid.

Abrams does love him some poorly conceived time travel though.

1 Like

At this point, I don’t give a shit for and about all fan theories and stuff surrounding canon or extended universe. If I can get a night off, I’m going to see this film on the big screen and get some two hours or so of escapism.

Which, given all circumstances beyond the Star Wars universe, is a very short but nevertheless valued time.

Don’t get me wrong: I will bicker about sloppy writing, shit visuals and bad cinematography. No worries, I will even be mad about it, eventually. This is part of the circensis.

Get me the updated version of the heroine’s journey, paaahleeeese. If you want to upset me, destroy everyone and everything. But if you want to destroy me, give me a realistic view through a metaphor of the current state of the world (given the origin of the franchise, the US may even suffice).

1 Like

While Star Wars has a long history of clones (I mean, they made a whole movie and an animated series about it), I think jumping to clone theories based on two seconds of Rey in a cloak is kinda silly.

A lot of Star Wars fans – or fans in general – have a bad habit of theorizing so much that they create their ideal fanfic-version of a movie in their head in the months before it comes out, and are inevitably disappointed because it doesn’t sync up to those theories they so carefully crafted.

I’m happy to enjoy the movie that JJ Abrams puts out and see what happens. My only hope is that it’s a satisfying conclusion to the 9-film epic, which is a tall order.

2 Likes

That’s the interesting thing about the clone fan theory. People were theorizing that the sequels were going to be about a clone of Palpatine before any of them even came out. Before the Disney buyout IIRC. Based on one of the round the prequels EU books I think, combined with the 3 movies about clones. And there’s still a fair bit of chatter about Anakin being a Palpatine clone, to explain that whole virgin birth thing we don’t mention (which I think was already EU explained?). Even when Disney made that all non-canon, Palpatine clone! TFA came out and either Rey or Snoke = Palpatine clone! TLJ came out and directly blew up all the theories about Rey’s background. But still Palpatine clone!

If it fits its proof, if it doesn’t fit its proof. They’re bad for not doing the clone story. They’re bad because they’re so obviously doing the clone story. JJ Abrams was the Devil who sodomized your childhood. Then that was Rian Johnson. Currently Abrams is the beautiful Angel who will save us by retconning everything and something something clones. After the movie comes out he’ll be satan again. And some how the clone theory will live on.

And you can pretty much slot most of the other major fan theories in there, it just seems like the clone one has gotten reeeeaaallly popular since they released that Palpatine would appear.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.