Watch news reporter call out his network on live TV for not paying him

Originally published at: Watch news reporter call out his network on live TV for not paying him | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I can believe it.

You can tell KBN really is the “finest television” when you hear the royalty-free youtube music library songs, and see the preset animated transitions.

Also being drunk doesn’t mean he was lying.

Finally, he didn’t seem drunk at all to me. Just that he didn’t care about doing the job. He also seemed a bit nervous too. If I wasn’t getting paid, I wouldn’t be inclined to do a bangup job reading the teletype either.

18 Likes

The station’s response is definitely one of those non-denial denials. Nowhere in the letter do they refute that the station staff hasn’t been paid.

19 Likes

I’m not sure whether or not he’s drunk. I am sure that he’s telling the truth about his deadbeat bosses not paying him.

16 Likes

I’m puzzled by him reading off cards (apparently either too far away or partially illegible, based on his eye activity, pauses, and verbal inflections) rather than using the prompter. Unless of course, the prompter operator got tired of not getting paid and noped out early. I hope the staff can all land somewhere else that both values and encourages their talents better.

3 Likes

I’m glad he didn’t announce that the station isn’t allowing him to cover some hot and heavy news item and that we should tune into Project Veritas for the real scoop.

9 Likes

the video is partially covered by an ad that I can’t close. The ad situation on boingboing is a bit much

5 Likes

The ad situation on b̶o̶i̶n̶g̶b̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ the internet is a bit much, but as we all know, capitalism is the best system ever divined by god /s

Perhaps it’s time to install an adblocker?

3 Likes

UBlock Origin is your friend

It has a version available for every browser, and doesn’t let any ad-networks pay to slip through like adblock plus does.

Don’t get plain “ublock” the project split. UBlock Origin is still done by the original dev. UBlock is just a clone of adblock plus.

You’ll use less bandwidth, processing power, and on mobile your battery will last longer. Do yourself a favor, get rid of ads. I don’t consent to them. My attention and processing resources are too valuable to waste on such garbage. Yours are too.

12 Likes

UBlock Origin’s extension is available for several of the most widely used browsers, including: Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Opera, Firefox and all Safari releases prior to 13.

Safari 14.0. Curses! Foiled again!

3 Likes

“If you do this again, we’ll fire you.”
“So my choice is between working and not getting paid, or not working and not getting paid? Hmm, I’ll have to think about this.”

7 Likes

I’m still saddened by the demise of uMatrix. That was the best, most granular control of 3d party scripting ever. The brilliant UI made the PIA process of enabling the least number of permissions necessary to get a site to function.

4 Likes

I still use NoScript in FireFox, works beautifully. But there’s just no equivalent in Chrome.

5 Likes

uMatrix is the UI no Script should have had, but totally screwed up on.

3 Likes

This was also a choice faced by many Russian university faculty in the late 1970s and early 1980s, especially in the secondary universities where Jewish professors were allowed to work. I had a colleague in Gorky who went 6 months without a paycheck. The choice of many of these was to leave the country. Unfortunately, similar choices are not available to Africans today.

Zambia is in terrible economic shape; 60% of its population live in poverty. Their recent deals with Turkey are not going to help them, but that’s because Erdogan is an untrustworthy ally. The best way European countries can control immigration is to do everything in their power to help make nations like Zambia self-sufficient and prosperous.

Years ago a Zambian friend played me a recording of the then-president, Kenneth Kaunda (who passed away last week), singing their national anthem. It was one of the most moving things I’ve ever heard. Unfortunately, my search skills have not been strong enough to find me a copy online. (Yes, that is a request for help.)

(Edited to correct typo as per @GagHalfrunt’s post.)

3 Likes

Perhaps it would help to spell his name correctly.

4 Likes

Almost there.

2 Likes

Cut me a break, I’m doing this from memory, and happily confess to not correctly knowing the names of the heads of state of all the African nations off the top of my head.

2 Likes

You’d find the name soon enough by looking up Zambia on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

That was my first tell that this was a shoe string budget operation

If drunk I very much admire his articulation and cadence… couldn’t pull it off myself.

1 Like