Watch people in the 1980s resisting laws against drinking and driving: "Pretty soon, it's gonna be a communist country."

Unfortunately, we can’t take comfort in analogy. There are still Libertarian idiots who also resent any common &sense road safety law (see also seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, etc.)

10 Likes

Just leaving this here, with the note that I’m certain I saw an episode where Otis got pulled over, was drunk, and was told to drive right home:

6 Likes

I love old videos of regular people like this because of the accents. They’re so much stronger than they are today.

Some of these folks are un-understandable.

8 Likes

Something tells me you aren’t a “functioning” alcoholic? I work around a number of guys who could probably drink a couple of beers after a 10 hour shift and have their driving impaired minimally. To their credit they only drive at the speed limit and in a very relaxed way even without drinking. At the same time they will pick up a 12 pack and finish most of that off on a Friday night. I don’t drink beer, so I can’t relate to all that.

5 Likes

Just wait until you see the British do disdain, binge drinking, and driving better than anyone.

Legal Drunk Drivers from the 1960s

3 Likes

I can’t tell if those ladies knitting at around < 1 min are real, or a Monty Python sketch.

3 Likes

Knitting needles were one of the closest things people had to portable game systems back then.

8 Likes

mighty fine beards and mustaches, gentlemen. tips hat

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure it never really existed in the first place.

12 Likes

I remember a regular at the bar I was bartending at in the 90s being upset after getting another DUI charge and arguing in all seriousness that every road should have a designated drunk driving lane where you can go as slow as you need to in order to get home safely… because drunk drivers are famously safety conscious and always stay in their lane I guess? because most people are more concerned about being stuck behind them in traffic than they are being killed by them? Nice to be reminded that village idiots blaming their problems on the government have always been around --hopefully we can look back and laugh at the current crop of them in another 40 years.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I grew up in Michigan, I started my drinking career at 15 around 1979, hardcore alcoholic by 1981 and quit for good in 1986.

I don’t ever remember a time when I was drinking when it was legal to have open alcohol in the vehicle, didn’t stop me but it was always illegal. It’s amazing I never killed myself or anyone else and thank God I quit when I did or it was going to end in tragedy. I was stopped a couple times when I was a teenager with an open beer, the cops just made me pour it out and gave me the speeding ticket. It was crazy.

I remember when MADD started up and and then when we would joke about DAMM (drunks against mad mothers).

Now I have very little use for anyone that drives after drinking, I’ve told freinds and family if they get in their car and drive away I will call the police and tell them which way you’re headed. They get angry but they find another way home.

I think I saw this posted on BB a while back (also a few minutes ago). At :32, “what about the pedestrians?” At 4:15 a law student weighs in telling you how to beat the law.

14 Likes

Poke-a-Man /s

10 Likes

In the mid-80s in the northeast, it was fairly normal for bars to comp the designated driver with free soda, since it was such a new concept. Still, most people didn’t take advantage of that until they’d had a couple drinks and knew they’d be going home soon.

As well, if cops pulled a carload over due to a drunk driver, they’d tag the person who “looked the most sober” to drive the rest home. Crazy times.

9 Likes

By their logic, communism stands for everything good and sensible. /S

Communist then, woke now.
Again, the dog whistle without understanding what they’re talking about.

7 Likes

It’s fairy tale. Just like their bible.

7 Likes

Wow, real freedom of choice there. The power of the market!

/s

9 Likes

Of course in Europe in 1983 drunk driving was no joke.

9 Likes
6 Likes

The market has done a far better job of providing me with beer choices in the progressive city where I now live. There are literally two world class breweries whose worst beer is better than any of those more traditional choices not only in walking distance of my house, but on the same street.

4 Likes