Watch: Rabbit pummels snake to protect her baby

It’s Telegu with some English mixed in. I bet it was filmed in the US somewhere.

Those kids were a little too into the idea of the rabbit killing the snake…

…snakes gotta eat too kids, that is kinda nature for ya.

3 Likes

I’m guessing it’s a black rat snake:

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/elaobs.htm
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Blackratsnake.cfm

Or maybe something similar. But probably not poisonous. That looked like constrictor behavior at the beginning.

I often see a very similar-looking snake sunning itself near my grandmother’s house in upstate NY, and have always admired it. I’d much rather have a nice mouse-eating black snake on my property than a garden-wrecking rabbit.

5 Likes

cf

12 Likes

Pantherophis obsoletus, the common black ratsnake. Non-venomous, fairly soft bite for such a large snake. Momma bunny surely came out fine, blacksnake not so much. Sorry, but I was rooting for the bad guy.

1 Like

Oh, I missed a couple posts while responding to sblundy, but definitely in the US, probably in the midwest or northeast where it is the most common large snake to be encountered, Other races / color variants of the same snake predominate in other areas of the country. BTW, my bunny gave the same treatment to a cat that came in my yard a while back.

1 Like

Yeah - pet rabbits don’t find “I’m gonna get you!” chase games quite so amusing as dogs and cats do.

Did anyone else click the Youtube link the end for the snake vs cat video? Mostly cats doing their “kill anything they can” thing, but there was one where it looked like a fighting pit setup where the cat couldn’t escape a cobra. Nasty. Best was a longhair cat chilling and swishing it’s tail, with a small snake attacking the tail, thinking it was the head of a predator.

1 Like

Came to this thread looking for the relevant Kipling reference. Was not disappointed.

Edit to add: Also, belated props to @anon81034786

2 Likes

“What’s he going to do? Nibble your bum?” - Sir Robin

1 Like

Yeah, I live South of Sydney. Predominant snakes around here are red bellied blacks and eastern browns. This little drama would have played out a lot differently here…

1 Like

It’s always the asshole who roots for the predator and then says, “innocent snake was just trying to have a nice meal.” Family is speaking Telugu in commentary, and what a shame to see the mom find her mostly dead babies. She did some major snake asskicking. Good for her!

Go team mammal!

1 Like

heh, couldn’t help but think to myself: “we’re a cultured lot”

What culture? I couldn’t say. But it’s definitely got a lot of wonderful things.

1 Like

Look like the baby bunny was dead… =(

One must die.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.