Watch: Raven attacks Google delivery drone in Australia

Originally published at: Watch: Raven attacks Google delivery drone in Australia | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Springtime in Australia, so many birds become extremely territorial. Drones will suffer.

14 Likes

Best wishes to the birds in their fight. Next time I recommend attacking as a group

20 Likes

“Nevermore.”

23 Likes

multiplying drones is what drones do; so: accompanying fighter drones to protect the bomber drones. i dunno… armed with anti-corvid (note the ‘R’) spray. “Engage! Engage! We gotta get that Vegemite shipment to number six Kookaburra (old gum tree) drive!”

6 Likes

I, for one, welcome our corvid overlords.

24 Likes

Exactly. Do not fly drones when these birds have young in the nest. Any large moving aerial shape will get mobbed by them if it is close enough - it looks like a bird of prey.

11 Likes

Needs a “delightful animals” tag.

10 Likes

Australian ravens are a lot smaller than the common ravens that live in northern hemisphere. They are in similar size as the carrion crows. A common raven would have been a more formidable opponent for the drone.

4 Likes

This suggests a line of attack on drones if they become too annoying – set up decoy drones, sort of like scarecrows, only drone-shaped and sounding but covered in delicious suet and bird seed. After a few weeks, the local crows and other birds should get the idea. Once the birds start crashing the drones regularly, start ordering lots of bird seed for everyone in the neighborhood, whatever comes in the flimsiest packaging. QED.

2 Likes

That damn drone is scary. If I had an antiaircraft gun I’d shoot it down.

1 Like

Modern day piracy career option 278-3: Falconeer (is that a word/thing? person who trains birds with the cap and the protective glove) with a flock of trained birds of pray to take down drone transports and liberate their cargo.

2 Likes

Waaay ahead of you…

6 Likes

There are plenty of falconers out there, using raptors to control animal populations at places like airports. There is also a huge amount of hunting with raptors, especially in the Middle East. Saudi princes all have to have at least a few of the bigger, showier birds, like gyrfalcons and Mongolian eagles.

3 Likes

And Aisholpan shall lead them and the “Tiger Moth” piracy gang.

(/s on the piracy. I haven’t seen the full documentary yet, but Aisholpan seems pretty awesome!)

1 Like

How much does it cost to have your coffee delivered by drone every morning?

2 Likes

Only your soul.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Based on the pair of common ravens that I’ve been feeding at the park, and that now will follow me afterwards to see where I’m going, go with cheese or cashew nuts. Suet or other fatty stuff will only attract bugs. Leftover chicken or pizza is also a big hit, but also has the same bug issue. Cheetos are also acceptable, even the flaming hot ones, since avians are immune to the “heat”.

If you have to ask you’re too Poe.

6 Likes