Watch Sade's stunning TV performance of "Is It A Crime" (1985)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/28/watch-sades-stunning-tv-perf.html

8 Likes

What a brilliantly talented musician she is, and her band are absolutely mind-blowing. Great find, thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for that. Timeless.

3 Likes

Swoon. Music is amazing; cuts right to my soul. Her voice is deep at times and soars like a crystal bird at others. And her beauty and elegance to boot.

8 Likes

Always one of my favorites. Her clean, soulful, pre-melisma-mania style always warms my heart.

4 Likes

Sade is one of the best. Thanks!

2 Likes

god, i have been in love with this heavenly creature for so long…

5 Likes

Now I have to go load my Sade CDs into the changer! Thanks for the reminder of how calming her music is. Really ready for another listen to Frankie’s First Affair.

1 Like

Best commuter jams for any traffic jams.

Personally I found it interesting to hear Sade again and think about her in comparison with Astrud Gilberto. Both were representative of a certain jazz zeitgeist in their respective eras, presented as smooth operators in uptown, classy environs but never really able to escape the producers touch. Not evaluating and saying good or bad here, just think there are other women vocalists and musicians who probably deserve the accolades. You could say that Elvis Presley was a good Gospel singer but he certainly wasn’t the best, and it would be insulting to do so.
Chaka Khan, Betty Davis, Sheila E, Mary Lou Williams, Roberta Flak are a few transcendent musicians to my ears.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.