Watch Seth MacFarlane "joke" about Harvey Weinstein's harassment during a 2013 Oscars presentation

Exactamundo. I like it too, it’s tickling my nostalgia and there’s nothing wrong with that. Not every show I enjoy needs to be Breaking Bad quality.

6 Likes

As i said in a previous thread, i love to play devil’s advocate but even the devil has standards. This is not about “outrage culture”, being upset over nothing. This is about a sexual harasser and predator and someone that is willing to argue their defense is not someone that i will give the time of day. I am ignoring their comments.

13 Likes

Too bad the same can’t be said of many people.

10 Likes

Those are some pretty fucking alternative viewpoints, that’s for sure (outside of your average MRA forums at least). Mission accomplished, I guess?

18 Likes

The alternative view point that sexual assault is fine when perpetrated by rich white men and protected by their social class and status?

24 Likes

An “alternative viewpoint” about the acceptability of sexual harrassment and assault in the 21st century? Okie dokie, then. I get the sense that @orenwolf or @jlw will soon be here to remove the “spice” you’ve added.

14 Likes

If only the Devil’s advocates hewed to the same standards as the Devil.

5 Likes

http://www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

5 Likes

Also, women in weaker social or cultural positions, who won’t be believed and can do little to bring it to light.

20 Likes

See Bill Cosby

16 Likes

Bullshit rationale is bullshit.

16 Likes

In line with that, this thread:

13 Likes

And I’m sure there are tons of other men in the entertainment industry who haven’t been outed, too. I’m sure Cosby and Weinstein are just the tip of the iceberg here…

19 Likes

Waiting on MacFarlane scandal to break in 3…2…1. Also, how does a guy like that get Emilia Clark?

Seriously, I’ve been creeped out by Family Guy for a few years now. And I’m a crude, vulgar guy. I can’t even imagine how humans more evolved than me view it. Subsuming all your misogynist and racist jokes into a couple of purposely unsympathetic cartoon characters does not eucharistically transform them into feminist, anti-racist statements, as I think MacFarlane and his legion of acolytes would contend. There’s still too much of a sulfuric whiff of the “It’s funny because it’s true” left in the air.

I have to confess, I have a soft spot for the first Ted.

4 Likes

When I type “sexual predators” into google, it volunteers “in Hollywood” as one of the common searches. :thinking:

14 Likes

There are likely worse than him out there that are actively being helped. Lets not forget that Corey Haim was a victim when he was a young boy and directly contributed to his suicide. It’s an open secret that there’s a group of sexual predators in Hollywood and they have not been unmasked publicly and i wonder why.

9 Likes

Not to derail, but totally agreed. It’s the only thing he’s done that didn’t make me cringe, and it’s a big love letter to Boston, which I appreciate. Somehow it hit the right balance of dick jokes and smart storytelling.

2 Likes

The same reason as always; money and power.

12 Likes

The child predator stuff in Hollywood is probably coming out next. There’s the story of the serial molester who was allowed to remain an on-set tutor for years and blind items like the one described in this Jezebel article.

10 Likes

After all, those women wanted the work! They knew what they were getting into with Weinstein. They should have just avoided him, right?

jsbti

23 Likes