Watch: Simple explainer on why democracy in America will lose, unless Democrats wake up

This. It’s a small thing. But this is something that amazes me. GQP members get to constantly make fun of Democrats and the Democratic Party by calling it the Democrat Party. (And we know they know they’re being “naughty”, because, unless they are brain-dead like Louie Gohmert, they only use the insulting version at campaign rallies and when being interviewed by organs of propaganda like Fox News.)

But when the insult does stray into official Senate/House proceedings or during a press conference at the Capitol steps, Democrats never speak up. They let it go. They pretend it didn’t happen or it’s not an insult. Yet it is an insult and every time I hear a GQP get away with it I wonder, How? It’s the Chinese Water Torture of insults and it’s been going on for 40+ years.

2 Likes

I can’t find the previous thread about it - but if elected Democrats pushed back half has hard as random members on the internet when the wrong party name is used, they would actually get things accomplished in government. :confused:

4 Likes

Maybe they have bigger fish to fry than countering grade school insults? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve often thought that Dems should refer to the other as the Pubic Party.

Oh, you object? Fine, we’ll use the right one for you when you all stop using the wrong one for us.

4 Likes

Dems couldn’t even maintain a 50 state strategy after Howard Dean laid it out for them.
Obama & Plouffe activated 100,000s of people online only to let that whole network degrade into nothingness once they won the Presidency. (I saw this play out in Plouffe’s previous campaign with Deval Patrick’s first MA gubernatorial campaign - great grassroots/netroots organizing with plenty of citizen momentum only to be stopped dead cold once the election was won.)

Must be a reason Dems don’t ever learn. I wonder what it could be…

5 Likes

Or the Rethuglican Party or the Refucklican Party. It’s an easy game to play,
but…

This.

One reason is that once Democrats win elections, they focus on governance, and (hopefully) making people’s lives better. Once Repulcians win elections, they only focus on the next election. To Republicans (and to many Democrats too), governance is simply a means of acquiring and maintining power, and distributing the “perks” of power to a small group of consitituents. Democrats (generally) believe that good government will make the country (and the world) a better place to live for everyone, and take it as faith that once people see their own lives improve, they will credit the government for providing help when it was needed.

Republicans have a much more cynical view of government (and of the world in general). Between the libertarians (who oppose any central authority, except for the military), the Christianists (who want to create a society based on Biblical Law (and a very narrow interpretation of the Judeo-Christian Bible), and the plutocrats (who oppose any restrictions on their ability to make money), you end up with a party that believes in nothing other than the amassment of power.

Oh, and thank you, @StatusQuo for fixing your initial post – I realize that you weren’t intending to annoy me (and others) when you omitted the ‘ic’. It’s just that any time I read a post referring to the “Democrat party”, I assume the worst. It took a second reading of your comment to figure out that I acutally agree with what you said.

9 Likes

Highlighting the point articulated in the explainer: In Virginia, the new republican majority in the state house already have bills introduced for the 2022 session that would remove no-excuse absentee ballots, repeal a provision establishing absentee ballot drop-off locations, eliminate an automatic absentee voter list, reduce the number of early voting days and bring back photo ID as a requirement (currently, one may sign a statement confirming their identity if they don’t have a photo ID). Dems hold a slim majority in the state’s senate so hopefully that will prove to be a check against at least some of the kooky stuff coming from the house.

9 Likes

It strikes me that they would be irritated by such bullshit, so they believe that everyone else must feel the same. :roll_eyes: They have no ability or willingness to understand anyone else’s POV…

5 Likes

Fingers crossed, but kooky? I think you misspelled “fascist.”

And yeah, that Youngkin already sounds as far, far right as he promised he’d be. :grimacing:

11 Likes

he doesn’t have to be some kind of genius to throw people out of windows, he just has to be outside any kind of structure of accountability that could stop him from doing it again and again

4 Likes

But he’s protecting our children from CRT and masks! Our hero!

sick puke GIF

7 Likes

or somebody could feed the Republican candidate answers through an earpiece until he shouts “Let me finish!” into the air because his cheating coach is talking too fast

4 Likes

I’m talking more about the methods behind the country’s illiberal sham democracy, as formulated and implemented by Vladislav Surkov. Putin’s old-school KGB thuggery is only one way they attack or neutalise political opposition in Russia.

5 Likes

I regret to express my observations over 50 years of “wake up or else” situations, but cut to the core: X never wakes up. So we’re effed.

My questions have to do with things like, how do I emigrate to a place that will have me; do I need to buy a damned gun and learn how to shoot?, etc.

signed,
El Depresso

Beau has a much better take on it

6 Likes

11 Likes

This is the root of the problem. And why we’ll most likely lose our democracy. Americans on the whole are lazy, selfish, anti-intellectual, and disinterested in good governance.

Go ahead, change my mind.

I won’t try to change your mind, but I would instead say, “Americans on the whole have been led to be lazy, selfish, anti-intellectual, and disinterested in good governance.”

I think there’s more to hope for change when it’s put that way.

8 Likes

It’s not the Democrats that need to wake up, though they are the current party in power, but it’s the citizenry of the United States that needs to wake up and understand how authoritarian forces on both sides are taking our democracy away.

IMO: Be warned this sounds like a conspiracy theory (which I abhor) but neoliberalism is a large part of the issue. By dismantling (deregulation) of a lot of Governmental bureaucracy over the years to make a more robust government has created a situation where everything is truly fought on the state/local levels. This has been happening since the eighties & nineties.

Republicans, and specifically the Christian right, have won small elections, first onto school boards, and then into local government offices, usually non-elected positions. Some positions in cities that are elected positions don’t require candidates to state their party affiliations. These positions give these officials the experience and springboard into larger offices in politics.

Democrats, during the same time, did nothing are didn’t pay attention or didn’t think these positions were powerful (maybe - I don’t know). But there have been plenty of Democrats who stopped fighting neoliberalism and embraced it on some level. I would even say the willingness of the Democrats to play by the “rules” while Republicans use their disinformation campaigns. Democrats relied on the tools of Democracy and compromised as a politician would do to reach consensus but never looking at the long game. Unlike their opponents.

It’s time for the citizens of the United States to stop picking between two parties and understand that those politicians embracing neoliberalism (which many do as the only form of economics) and the only way to find it to question them themselves, and not rely on just the media. It’s time for the citizens of the United States to take more of active part in democracy. And that is not vote for the -isms but vote for democracy and those politicians supporting an open democracy, and who put the country first.

For Democrats and Republicans, stop fighting the FUD of culture wars. Stop fighting them entirely and call out those putting issues into a culture war. Mainly, “woke” doesn’t exist but the market does. When the multitudes start rejecting figures and politicians, as they have done via social media, that is called the Market rejecting those figures and politicians. The same market that conservatives have stated should be the only entity to listen to. The problem for them is they thought the market would be the dollar they didn’t realize that it still would be public opinion and that now both go hand in hand.

Sorry, a lot here I just had to get it all out. Most of this I write as an adult in his fifties who has watched and listened as I watched local politics change. It’s anecdotal and my observations over the years. I’m a Computer Scientist, not a Historian, Political Scientist, or Social Scientist. But I took what my Junior year US Government teacher said and took it to heart. I have been a Democrat and Libertarian in my life. For the last 22 years I have been an Independent and find value in liberal, progressive, and conservative voices.

I do worry about democracy but it’s time for all Citizens to “wake up” and understand that the loudest voices will dominate and right now it’s not them it’s the GQP!

2 Likes