Watch singer Janis Ian, at sixteen, the day she says Bill Cosby blackballed her from TV: "probably a lesbian"

Originally published at: Watch singer Janis Ian, at sixteen, the day she says Bill Cosby blackballed her from TV: "probably a lesbian" - Boing Boing

4 Likes

He was probably disappointed that he didn’t get a chance to creep on her.

Christ, what a hypocritical asshole.

28 Likes

More than probably. I’m sure pervy Uncle Pudding Pops showed up in the dressing room with a “refreshing beverage” for her.

11 Likes

In a way he probably did her a favor by keeping industry creeps away from her. Still, Cosby has been such a POS that every new thing i hear about him only confirms it further.

10 Likes

What a world it would be if so much of the talent and intelligence that women possess wasn’t held back and thwarted by sick disgusting pigs like Cosby.

20 Likes

I don’t think I have heard that song before, it is very sad and sweet… melancholy.

Also, I miss that electric organs sound like at the end… I am not sure why it fell out of favor, but I am guess because electric keyboards became cheaper and more popular. You can’t tel me things like the bridge in House of the Rising Sun doesn’t kick ass with that electric organ.

9 Likes

I already had enough reason to seriously dislike Bill Cosby; this just adds to the pile. (Fully acknowledging that he did make some serious inroads in other ways - people are complicated.)

8 Likes

I didn’t think I my opinion of Bill Cosby could go any lower. Yet here we are. What a fucking asshole.

6 Likes

Sounds like full censorious Cosby, the guy who wrote books and gave speeches about “insufferable” young men with pants handing off their @sses and mouths full of bad language. I remember him in in that time, while he was still “America’s Dad” (like “America’s Mayor” right?), being interviewed about coming down so hard on kids having sex at the same time one of his own kids born out of wedlock was in the news. He was so self-righteous that he said, “Bring it on.”

Noah is a great comedy routine but Cosby should still be in prison for all the evil he’s done.

10 Likes

Every time you hear something new about Cosby, you just have to hate him even more. It’s very convenient.

6 Likes

His TV show (was it in the 80’s or 90’s) was absolutely horrible.

3 Likes

Yes.

('84 - '92 per the wiki)

2 Likes

Word.

It was a sad, angrifying day for me when I heard he’d been released and (supposedly) exonerated. I hope the 3 years he did serve were fucking miserable ones.

4 Likes

Tommy Smothers and Cosby had issues with each other, Smothers publicly called out Cosby for not being involved in the civil rights movement or Vietnam protests. At one point Cosby assaulted Smothers at a party at Hugh Hefner’s mansion.
https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/11/the_case_of_bil.html

5 Likes

Growing up in a sundown town in the '60s, this is the first time I’ve ever heard “Society’s Child”. It’s lovely.

10 Likes

I remember watching that show when it was broadcast (she’s the same age as my younger sister) - and the furor over the song. I didn’t know she was badmouthed and blackballed by Cosby.

that song still hurts!

5 Likes

I did not know that … more power to Tommy.

4 Likes

Cosby is, was, and forever will be a horrible person who should have jailed decades ago. In a just world, he would have been held to account for his actions before he even started making The Cosby Show. Knowing what I know now, I have no intention of ever watching a rerun of that show again.

However, trying to pretend The Cosby Show wasn’t a hugely populuar and influential part of American television history is simply revisionism. Like if we found out that Lucille Ball was a monster and subsequently tried to pretend that I Love Lucy was trash from the start.

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s been completely pulled from syndication.

It was both those things. However, it always had this smug, nasty edge to it that was played as funny but was really mean-spirited.

1 Like

They were not really great at engaging with issues such as racism or the like, either… it was very much a show about a upper middle class Black family that had generally speaking assimilated into white culture fully. Cosby was always in line with Black conservativism in many ways, and saw himself as fitting into the class of Black leadership that should dictate to the working class Black community how they should behave…

3 Likes