Watch someone slap French President Macron right in the face

No, the ‘S’ is silent in French.

(Not.) :wink:

1 Like

It’s supposed to be a gauntlet, actually.

2 Likes

WELCOME TO GUESS THE MOVIE:
Person 1: "Shall we say… pistols at dawn?
Person 2: “I’ll say it. I don’t know what that means, but I’ll say it.”

1 Like

In a video I saw, he definitely did.

2 Likes

Neoliberal austerity seems as likely a culprit as anything else.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, populist reaction to these policies is just as likely to come from the right as from the left these days. The situation in that regard in France is not looking good at the moment (violent Islamophobia, resurgent anti-Semitism, right-wing yellow-vesters, military officers discussing coups).

I don’t think it’s all about “economic anxiety” with the creeps here, though. Maybe Macron’s half-hearted efforts at nativism-lite offended their bigoted sensibilities.

2 Likes

So he’s a Neo-Nazi but trying to be coy about it.

1 Like

Far-right ideology can be very syncretic.

2 Likes

So then maybe it’s diversionary neoliberal divide-and-conquer strategies that are as likely as anything else to be the culprit.

2 Likes

Not a hair I have any reason to split. I have no reason to look for distinctions among right wing extremists, just a means of identifying them.

For example Spanish Nationalists under Franco were a syncreatic polyglot of different ideals and interests. The end result was just a variety of sources for their guns, soldiers and equipment. They got it from Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and the Catholic Church. The end result was putting a brutal dictator in charge for decades.

1 Like

It’s a white dude being asked to treat others as fully human.

I think that’s USED to radicalize people. But they pin the blame on immigrants, Muslims, and less obviously, Jews, feminists, labor, etc, and enough problem embrace it to make it a problem. The solution to neoliberalism is complex, because it involves changing and dismantling a lot of things. Blaming the “other” is easy and feels like you’re doing something radical, when it’s really just propping up the status quo.

5 Likes

I think that Rim-Sarah Alouane was making a sarcastic comment about what is and is not treated as terrorism.

1 Like

She’d agree with me then.

3 Likes

gwen stefani GIF by uDiscoverMusic

4 Likes

Commit the crime Tuesday, tried and sentenced within about 48 hours.

2 Likes

Some people will always find an excuse to despise and abuse those who simply look different. This was evident when a non-white man wearing a red “Keep America Great” cap (with “45” on the side) called a nine-year-old girl wearing a hijab a “f-----g Muslim terrorist” at a Surrey, B.C. grocery store a few months ago. The girl’s father rightly confronted the man and repeatedly called him a racist. (I can imagine the shameful pleasure felt and rampant media postings left by white supremacists upon learning the accused racist was not Caucasian!) As far as terrorism goes, the girl’s family is far more likely to be fleeing extremist violence abroad than planning to perpetrate it elsewhere. But that ironic fact may not matter, anyway; ‘their kind’ are still not welcome.

I’ve found that a disturbingly large number of categorized people, however precious their souls, can be considered thus treated as though disposable, even to an otherwise democratic nation. When the young children of those people take notice of this, tragically, they’re vulnerable to begin perceiving themselves as beings without value. While the inhuman devaluation of these people is based on religion combined with race, it still reminds me of an external devaluation, albeit a subconscious one, of the daily civilian lives lost in protractedly devastating war zones and heavily armed sieges. They can eventually receive meagre column inches on the back page in the First World’s daily news. (To the newspaper owners/editors, of course, it’s just the news business and nothing personal.)

We can believe that “common sense folksy wisdom” or do the work to improve the world. Your choice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.