Watch tabby cat's (very) annoyed reaction every time he hears someone sneeze

Originally published at: Watch tabby cat's (very) annoyed reaction every time he hears someone sneeze | Boing Boing

2 Likes

little hard to tell how long Tom held this face:
ff
but that sure looks like a Flehmen response by which felines (and horses, tapirs, elks…) are attempting to learn more about their odorific surrounds by shunting smells to an sensory organ in the roof of their mouths. That is, this cat maybe was curious about how the exhaled sneeze could be chemically categorized… maybe, (or not. maybe it was just a freeze frame mid-meow)

10 Likes

I don’t sneeze inobtrusively, myself. I imagine he would rip my face off.

7 Likes

I machine gun sneeze*. He’d flip out for that.

* A dozen or more, although not common is not out of the range of possibility. One road trip everyone in the van started counting out loud. 13.

9 Likes

What’s your “record?”

In a really bad allergy attack, mine is 9 or 10…

It sucks, because you have to catch your breath afterward.

9 Likes

It’s too easy to lose count when repeatedly doubling over, they aren’t little sneezes. Probably 15 or so, no more than 20 on the high end.

Usual is on the order of 5 or 6.

5 Likes

Do you have a Great Dane?

Do you solve mysteries together?

8 Likes

Heard.

You have my sympathies.

5 Likes

I had a friend who was The Queen of the Fairies. When she sneezed, it was invariably three times, but the noises she made were incredible. Two loudish shh’s followed by a high-pitched EEP! shh-shh EEP!

Fuck knows how this kitty would react to that.

All empathy toward my fellow allergy sufferers. sigh

7 Likes

I´m going with: a blast of high frequency noise that humans mostly don´t hear. Very rude if you have cat ears. Our orange tabby loves a warm lap, but one sneeze and he´s out of the room.

4 Likes

A dramatic change of temperature (summer day day to an airconned room; cold winter day to an overheated office), if it starts, will prompt 8 -10, sometimes more. The more I try to keep it quiet, inevitably the more sneezes.

4 Likes

… someday tiktok embeds will work

5 Likes

My record is 22.
For some reason, I sneeze when I am very hungry. It’s weird.

3 Likes

A friend sneezes a buncha times whenever he first steps into bright sunlight. I laughed and told him he’s a fucking vampire

3 Likes

I do that too. Usually when coming out of a movie theater into daylight.

3 Likes

I apologized to my friend (and now, to U, too!), and told him if I go out into “sneezeable” sunlight w/o sunglasses, I’m half-blind and my eyes hurt and start watering like mad.

Shedding Light on Photophobia - PMC - NCBI -
National Institutes of Health (.gov)

“The term photophobia is a misnomer and not quite accurate. It comes from two Greek words: photo- “light” and phobia “fear or dread of”—hence, “fear of light.” It is defined as an “abnormal sensitivity to light, especially of the eyes””

2 Likes

Yikes! I’m glad sunglasses help you. I should try putting some on before walking out the door. And no offense taken, vampires are pretty cool these days and that was a great gif.

2 Likes

Vampires? Unless they’re actually from Transylvania, they’re just sparkling… oh my God.
You know what, never mind.

4 Likes

Do try 'em! Be so damn cool if it works! Didn’t think to ask my pal if shades help him, so… ???

…ahnnd yuu ahrre tu kinnd. Thanngk yuu.

Vhat vhas theese yuu vurr goinngg tu sey?!

{Spelling in a Hungarian accent ain’t easy, least of all Mr Lugosi’s. Hope it “works.”}

2 Likes

(Video is cued.)

1 Like