Watch the country's largest Confederate statue come down

toon_LzpQtS8_original

12 Likes

17 Likes

Seems like, even though the pain would only be symbolic, that they should have used a giant, sparking cutting wheel to carve Lee off of that saddle.

Spend some extra time on the genital region, folks!

3 Likes

You know how bad it sucks when you get aluminum foil stuck between your teeth?

Imagine if your teeth are aluminum!

1 Like

The statues themselves are ahistorical. They were mostly erected in the late nineteenth century and early 20th century not to commemorate the South’s cause or memorialize their fallen but as a part of J͎im Crow intimidation of African-Americans.

Melt them down.

15 Likes

Totally off topic, but how do you end up getting aluminum foil stuck in your teeth? I think I can safely say that is one of life’s minor annoyances I’ve never experienced. (Knock on wooden teeth).

Regarding the statue, good. I get that there might be some of these somewhere with historical significance worth figuring out how to preserve…but like @DukeTrout mentioned, most of them (maybe almost all? All?) we’re part of a planned intimidation effort.

3 Likes

Baked potato, old school TV dinner…

eta: and the annoyance probably ramps up quite a bit if you have metal fillings, and it makes a battery with the aluminum.

6 Likes

Feels like a good place to drop this (check the chorus):

3 Likes

It’s a three step process:

1. Foil-wrapped burrito; 2. Too many margaritas; 3. Insufficient attention to the task at hand.
12 Likes

Why not a local group? GWAR?

That’s the plan. I wouldn’t take out the whole thing, mind you. Just focus on the noses and and treasonous symbols. I imagine that would be enough to get the desired result.

1 Like

Again… you’re not going to get much with some chisels. But good luck with that, I guess.

3 Likes

The best solution I’ve heard to the Stone Mountain problem is to grow vines over the relief. It’s a shame, really - the mountain itself is quite nice.

4 Likes

Maybe a very large hammer…

1 Like

Everything is part of history. That awful eyesore strip mall that we can’t wait to have replaced with something more sustainable or at least aesthetically pleasing, also history. In fact a lot of the awful mid-century drive in strip malls are older than a lot of the confederate statues people wring their hands about, and are far more accurate in their depiction of history. I’m fine saving the space in museums for all of the awesome antique fair rides that are from the same eras.

6 Likes

Fist Pump Legend Has It GIF by Run The Jewels

5 Likes

I’m going to step in and relate an anecdote I have about the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. They have an exhibit there dedicated solely to racism…how Westerners thought you could identify certain Asian populations by particular facial markers…Chinese from Japanese, etc. Also how we took property and imprisoned Japanese-Americans solely for their connection to a homeland they escaped.
While we were perusing the exhibits, of course there was an idiot couple taking a selfie in front of the racism exhibit, stretching their eyelids and everything.

Bruce Lee Racism GIF

13 Likes

Oh, I hear ya. I’m aiming mostly for the delicious combination of irony and in-your-face FU. driving trollies via statuary. It’s a grand gesture but I’m willing to make it.

1 Like

Google Maps → Robert E Lee Memorial → right click → Report a Data Problem → Wrong Information → click the location → Mark as closed or non-existent

11 Likes

We hope. 

2 Likes