Watch the first trailer for Zack Snyder's new Star Wars rip-off, Rebel Moon

Originally published at: Watch the first trailer for Zack Snyder's new Star Wars rip-off, Rebel Moon | Boing Boing

1 Like

What a ridiculous comparison. This one is a Kurosawa-inspired movie about rebels with laser swords fighting an Evil Space King, not a Kurosawa-inspired movie about rebels with laser swords fighting an Evil Space Emperor.

15 Likes

billy idol 80s GIF

9 Likes

Even if it’s not as good as Sucker Punch.

Lets be real. Sucker Punch is male gaze trash fantasy.

I’m not sure i’ll watch Rebel Moon, because i’m not particularly interested in Snyder’s vision/voice but it is at least nice to see an original IP (even if it is basically a Star Wars reskin)

10 Likes

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

you're right seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

6 Likes

You’re not wrong.

I saw it in the theater and came away thinking it had some really fun action music videos connected together by a barely there story. Then I picked up the DVD due $5 and didn’t watch it. Then I picked it up again on Blu-ray for $5 and didn’t watch it. Then, months later, I sat down with my wife to watch it. Finally.

We didn’t finish it.

6 Likes

Oh Sucker Punch is absolutely male gaze trash! That’s why it’s the quintessential Snyder film. It comes SO close to maybe touching on something interesting about humanity but NOPE, sexy chicks with guns fighting ninja zombie robots in stunning slow motion. Who needs actual emotion or gravitas when you can just vaguely gesture at meaning?

7 Likes

Snyder is the poster child for all style, no substance.

2 Likes

He should have given the moon a name, maybe something like Testoster One .

3 Likes

And It was made before…

10 Likes

That’s IMMEDIATELY what I thought of.

5 Likes
9 Likes

I thought his Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty well done. Especially the opening title sequence.

4 Likes

Um…that’s about a Battle and the title makes it clear that Stars are not involved.

Totally different

6 Likes

Terrible, terrible movie.

It was, however, my first exposure to Oscar Isaac, a male that I could gaze at for some time

1 Like

Something similar happened with Kull the Conqueror, starring “Christian” asshole Kevin Sorbo.

3 Likes

Never heard of him

3 Likes

Well… ok, frankly I thought that looked sort of interesting. Like Dune meets Star Wars with a dash of Narnia. Shame Snyder’s name has to ruin our view of it, but I’ll probably give the first part a watch when it drops. There are some great actors in the film and some really stunning visuals, though yes, we can see the bones propping it up and what it was meant to be originally.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Because of people chatting above I went and looked at the trailer for Sucker Punch never seen it before. Looks like a really shitty anime with no really outstanding features that my daughter would watch and feel bad for wasting her time with which was remade into an expensive live action/CGI explosion and fan service fest. I’m not particularly familiar with the guy obviously but they said “from the director of watchman” on the trailer. That film was incompetently made. I really mean that. I laughed in the cinema when I realised he was wasting everyone’s time using a page from the comic as a storyboard, shot for shot, wasting our time with a tediously literal translation that took ten boring minutes and achieved nothing but further strain on our patience.

What a fucking spoofer.

4 Likes