Watch the Kim Jong Un death scene that led to untimely death of 'The Interview'

So if they’d made a film about assassinating a fictional North Korean dictator it would be okay?

3 Likes

North Korea’s not a bear, North Korea is, at best, a very angry chihuahua usually being held on a leash by China.

5 Likes

Close call there. Had the film been shown, Kim Jong Un would have been the laughing stock of the west.

What’s not so funny is terrified starving people happy to even get a rat to eat. I can not believe that this film was shut down. Just want to try to wrap my head around it. We gave up the lions share of our civil liberties to protect us from terrorism. Yet a threat from N. Korea shuts down an American film. There has to be more to this story.

7 Likes

In one of the Naked Gun movies they had Leslie Nielsen’s character confront Gorbachev (meeting with a group of “enemy” leaders of the time like Castro and Khomeini) and wash the birthmark off of his head. Which was kind of odd, because Gorbachev was very popular in the US at the time as he was introducing reforms in the USSR, agreeing to arms reductions, etc.

3 Likes

In my parallel universe, this Sony hack was performed by an anon-gamergate-lulzsec collaborative to strike back at Seth Rogaine for being anti-GG. Having North Korea claim ownership for something they had nothing to do lead to the greatest of lulz.

3 Likes

I remember that, and wondered at the time if it was filmed before Gorbachev started his reforms, or if it was just something they stuck in as a cheap shot at his birthmark. At about the same time I heard an AM radio preacher describe in great detail how the birthmark was in fact “666”.

That actually was much funnier, especially since the preacher was absolutely serious.

2 Likes

Film buffs are always talking about the art of film as opposed to the commercial product of film. Mostly it’s to try to understand when the artistic value is deliberately lowered in order to make a more commercal product.

What we have here, is a vanishingly rare example of an artistic enhancement at the expense of commercial value. As a throwaway joke in the multiplex at the mall, this would likely be a commercial success and an artistic failure. But now under these circumstances, it’s a weird kind of performance art, with no commercial value!

Haters gotta hate, but I wholeheartedly approve.

5 Likes

One theater in Texas decided to show a less-inflammatory movie it its place, because nobody raised a stink when Kim Jung Il ate it.

How is it low? They guy is a despot and a megalomaniac just as his father was, perhaps worse. If there is any world leader that needs this kind of treatment, I’d say it was him.

3 Likes

What if it is a bear who happened to declare war on Christmas?

5 Likes

WHAT? Gitch 'er guns, boys, we gots work to do.

1 Like

There maybe more, but it’s unlikely to be much more than “lawyers and insurance policies”.

With a missile range that now reaches ALL of Japan. You know, their neighboring country, over a very small body of water.

Denied!

OMG. It’s a MOVIE. In AMERICA. WTF is going on here?

I imagine just about every movie that comes out (especially ones that would be targets by racists, anti-Semites, and pro/anti-Muslims) has some idiot somewhere on the internet saying they want to kill whoever goes to see said film. Why is this getting any credibility? Because they are hackers? That makes them less credible to actually go do something violent, especially during day light hours when the evil day star is still aloft.

Seriously - WTF? You’re way more likely to die driving home today than be the victim of this threat.

2 Likes

How about during World War 2? (Or is that different, given an actual declaration of war?)

3 Likes

Doesn’t hurt to tack on “in bed” every now and then.

1 Like

Aw…SONOFABITCH!

I was showing this clip to one of my lunch companions today while waiting in line and, in very short order, I had eight or ten people crowding around us trying to watch it, too. Information – even absurd stuff like this – wants to get out.

2 Likes

I always thought you looked better in your colon frock.

/memories!

3 Likes