Watch the magic of invisible forces when a magnet bounces on a trampoline

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/05/watch-magnetic-field-lines-ar.html

6 Likes

Field lines are awesome.

10 Likes

Fucking%20Magnets

15 Likes

Well when a boy magnet and a girl magnet lust each other very much…

7 Likes

Every now and then I think the science demos I come up with are cool. Then someone does something like this.

4 Likes

The new high speed camera tech and the marginally reasonable availability to the consumer has been pretty damn awesome hasn’t it.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I needed to watch them build their little trampoline. They could have jumped right in.

4 Likes

i’m glad they spared us what i can only imagine was an awful cleanoff task after each shot. magnets that strong covered in iron filings, couldn’t have been fun or quick unless anyone knows any tricks i don’t know about.

5 Likes

Just use a stronger magnet. :grinning: Or run the video backwards.

Actually, I wish they hadn’t reversed it - I wanted to see what happened to the last few filings that were not part of clumps.

1 Like

lol. haha. that would get a percentage off, at which point you’d still be left with the most difficult part of the original task, that last stubborn x percent, and a new stronger magnet covered in filings (unless that one is sleeved, which these ones should have been). maybe some sort of electromagnet. hmmm… :thinking:

1 Like

But when a girl magnet gives a boy magnet a dead squid – that had to mean something.

3 Likes

SQUIDS%20bitches

1 Like

Let’s take this up to the next level. Use multiple cameras and give us a Matrix-style freeze-frame revolution about the magnet to show us the effect clearly in 3D space.

2 Likes

You might never get them apart if you bring a stronger magnet close to that one.

2 Likes

Heating a magnet will de-magnetize it, either temporarily or permanently depending on the temperature and length of exposure.

2 Likes

Fascinating! I especially enjoyed the different angles on the super-magnet shots.

These modern magnets come with an “OFF” switch. Kids have it so easy today.

2 Likes

1 Like

mlp-fin-puremagic-ICP-ponies

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.