Watch: The most disturbing ice cream commercial ever made

Not in a billion years could Kubrick have ever imagined that anyone would have cribbed that last scene to shill ice cream. The irony is that Kubrick took great pains to have every single prop associated with 2001 destroyed (with the intent that they not be recycled and used in other films).

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

7 Likes

“It’s full of vanilla ice cream!.. I mean… stars!”

3 Likes

It’s great as a stand-alone film. Realistically, it makes a nice counterpoint to “Happy Birthday, David”, a great (and horrifying, IMO) viral video for the Prometheus movie.

As a piece of fiction, I appreciate the feelings of isolation, terror (the monster is offscreen), and horror (the monster is onscreen) that it evokes.

5 Likes

Also, this feels like an obligatory non-unicorn chaser:

6 Likes

SAL-9000: Will I eat ice cream?
Dr. Chandra: Of course you will. All intelligent beings eat ice cream. Nobody knows why.

7 Likes

Could be worse…

1 Like

OMFG that is horrific.

1 Like

Good thing it doesn’t need eggs.

4 Likes

OK, this is awful, too.

1 Like

Don’t worry—Halo Top has heard of YOU.

6 Likes

Are… are they sending me ice cream? I they sending me a robot with ice cream? Because I think I could live with this.

1 Like

No, but they will send you to the ice cream when the time comes.

2 Likes

That sounds nice, actually. I hope all dystopian futures are as convenient.

1 Like

All you can eat ice cream!

(Seriously, ice cream is all that you can eat.)

4 Likes

No Exit, Halo Top edition! Everybody eat up!

1 Like

so the eva pod in star wars is a replica?

2 Likes

As a fellow Halo Top Truther, I did a bit of research, and… had no idea what a big deal Halo Top suddenly became in the past few years. It actually is the best-selling individual pint of ice cream in America. Their whole deal is “hey! You can eat an entire pint all by yourself, and it’s about 250 calories and almost half of your daily fiber! It’s practically health food!” and it’s been a very huge deal. Apparently the stuff is like 50% air and has a weird mousse like texture but hey… 250 calories!

5 Likes

o_0 the only way you can do that is if…

Yep. Gee, just eat less at once, people. :confused: Unless this stuff is the same cost per weight, you’re paying for air.

This is why my dad would buy real Cheetos but not the puffed kind.

1 Like

Well, also, they use a sweetener called erythritol – which has zero calories and a glycemic index of 1. Unfortunately it causes bloating and stomach cramps in some people. But… hey! Low-cal real ice cream! (sort of)

3 Likes