Watch the new Star Wars film "Kenobi"

Maybe a long time ago, the surname “Kenobi” is like today’s Smith or Garcia or Singh. Best to hide among the herd.

3 Likes

Yeah but I mean… even LUKE put it together and he wasn’t exactly the brightest saber in the box.

2 Likes

True, but there was only one other person living within 1,000 parsecs and his name was Kenobi. Narrowed it down a bit for Luke.

1 Like

I enjoyed it even if they had old ben be a total f-ck up for the first 2/3s of the video. First he gets owned by sand people, then he can’t even manage mind controlling a small pod of troopers. WTF?

I have a memory of the Star Wars novelization (or maybe it was Splinter of the Mind’s Eye?) including a bit where Luke was pondering whether “Obi-Wan” meant “OB-1” and stood for “Old Ben 1”, making him a clone. Clearly that didn’t play out, but back in the early 80s when I had no idea what the Clone Wars involved, it was super intriguing.

1 Like

Now that we’re getting to names and things, does anyone think C-3PO refers to the theater shorthand for three penny opera?

1 Like

Sounds English, looks like this:

I disagree about the length. Sometimes you need a little mood. Kenobi was conflicted, or, at the least, partly agreed with Owen. The light saber he used was Anakin’s once, was it not? He tried to chuck it away, until circumstances required it. Unless you want first-person narration or asides from Kenobi, the time spent helped to tell the story.

And as far as the objection about leading the empire to the sand people, apparently Kenobi had no reason to be merciful with them-- they just attacked him!

The Tusken people were the indigenous inhabitants of Tatooine. From their point of view, Kenobi was a trespasser on their native land. Framing them for an attack against a xenophobic, genocidal government known for disproportional response just because he got a bump on the head doesn’t really seem like the kind of thing that would be in accordance with the Jedi code.

Then again, he also dismembered a guy for shoving Luke at a bar so maybe he just decided to give up the “mercy” thing when the Jedi formally disbanded.

5 Likes

Yeah, and then there’s the whole problem with using a clone army. Do the Jedi have ANY scruples?

One of the biggest takeaways from the prequels was definitely “huh, turns out the Jedi were cocky assholes who actively conscripted children and were totally OK with breeding and enslaving clones as cannon fodder.” Kind of makes it easier to see why so many people sided with Palpatine.

If we could go back to the late 1990s and convince Lucas to re-write the prequels, I’d make the “Clone Wars” refer to a period when the Old Republic was fighting AGAINST an evil foe that employed a clone army—basically, let some kind of clones replace the Battle Droids. Then the Republic could just get gradually more and more militarized in the course of fighting the threat until finally transitioning into a full-on totalitarian state under the Emperor.

3 Likes

That was what my friends and I always imagined when we made up Star Wars stories back in the early 80s. “The Clone Wars” is a fantastic phrase and I pictured space dogfighting and Jedi army battles against endless waves of clones. Bringing in the Separatists and the Banking Clan just made things needlessly complex and turned it into a story about bureaucracy.

1 Like

Jason Satterlund directed this short film, “Kenobi.” Not canon.

Fuck canon. Canon is only relevant in the realm of the auteur. No modern media franchise can be so classified.

Knowing what is and what isn’t “true” in terms of a universe is very meaningful for both fans and other creators. When nothing’s canon, you get a mess of conflicts and confusion.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.