Watch the new Stranger Things 3 trailer

Does it really need a monster this time? Couldn’t it just be a whole summer of fun? A Stranger Things remake of Wet Hot American Summer?

2 Likes

I am giddy with excitement for this. I need to buy a paper calendar just so I can draw a big heart on July 4th.

6 Likes

I also remember the kind of films that bore “Stephen King’s ____” at that time. The ones which inspired Stranger Things (which began when the producers could not secure rights to “It”).

He successfully sued to have his name removed from the very worst ones, like Graveyard Shift.

For what it’s worth, the overall feel of ST seems more like an amalgamation of Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, and John Carpenter, IMPO.

Also, because it’s always worth a rewatch:

4 Likes

i’m not catching the Close Encounters reference, either, and i just re-watched it recently. also, i LOVED Reanimator! Stranger Things definitely has a bit of a Reanimator vibe about it.

[EDIT]: also, not to derail the thread, but we just finished watching Umbrella Academy and damn, there’s some great music in there.

5 Likes

In Close Encounters, there’s a scene where the mom loses her child. She’s woken by all the electric toys moving on their own.

And yes, definitely got a Reanimator vibe, only if Reanimator actually had a budget for special effects. And good actors. And a better plot. (and I I did love Reanimator, just to be clear, it’s hella schlocky good fun).

EDIT: This scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLRfCG5VkA

3 Likes

ohh, gahhh, that’s RIGHT. duh.

and meh, Reanimator was perfect from the word go. it doesn’t need any of those things.

3 Likes

Classic cult film, but like many revered 80’s flicks it has some highly problematic themes, like the oral rape scene.

2 Likes

The toys at the start.

2 Likes

Did the carnival rides really have Zamperla lights back in the 80’s?

Oh my god. The Stuff. There’s a movie I could forget.

1 Like

This looks great and for me season two was already a step-up from one. Glad to see we’ll be getting some more of steve and dustin together which was a particular highlight of two.

2 Likes

well, Yuzna said he was deliberately trying to make the most shocking film he could, so this definitely fits the bill.

Saw the trailer for this last night… it looks amazing:

2 Likes

Wow, I almost posted an image of that exact poster; it does look like it’s well worth watching.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.